Hemp mix for bedding

sheenasmom1

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have 6 meat birds and have been using pine shavings for bedding. I have had been considering using hemp for bedding instead. I was wondering though if anyone has ever mixed Hemp and construction sand OR Hemp and compressed pellets?? If so did you find pros and cons to either? Thank you

Sorry I don’t use either of them but if this helps, I use shavings which you can usually buy in a big bag which will last a long time. It helps to see where there poo is to get rid of t easily! :)

We use hemp in the nesting boxes and in the run. It is amazing...stays dry and there is no smell. I just rake up the poo that is on the top and place it in the compost bin. I have had three bags in our large run for quite some time without having to change it. Carolina Coops had a Youtube video about hemp in the coops.

I have hemp in the coop and I agree with TP2 - dry and fluffy, no smell, no dust. I use a poop board so there’s not much poop in the bedding, but what’s there is dry and simple to scoop out every few days.

Co-workers compared hemp to two types of wood shavings and sand. It works OK, but more pricey than the other options. From what I saw the chickens (Cornish X) consumed a lot of the hemp based on its presence in feces. All three plant based treatments also appeared to foul water more.

Disclosure: I am not trying to sell anything and do not have (or had) any vices related to plant products.

Hello everyone,

I have 6 meat birds and have been using pine shavings for bedding. I have had been considering using hemp for bedding instead. I was wondering though if anyone has ever mixed Hemp and construction sand OR Hemp and compressed pellets?? If so did you find pros and cons to either? Thank you
Hi- I used construction sand in a small area in the run for about two days....(the "chicken chick" stated it was the best)...did not like it and raked it out. It is not compostable if that is an issue for you. The hemp stays remarkably dry. No smell. I just use a fine rake over the top to get the large poo pieces and toss them right into our "non food" compost pile.
I have not mixed of used pellets...

Back
Top Bottom