Hemp seed in feed?

angiechick, that was funny! But hemp should really be good for them. Essential Fatty Acids are exactly what chickens are likely to be lacking from a diet of processed grains, unless they are fully free range.

Anyone have a recipe to share for chicken brownies?

you all know that hemp is not the same thing as marijuana, right? It doesn't have enough THC in it to get a fly stoned...

anyway, if anyone comes across a feed recipe with hemp seed let me know. I would be curious what the percentages of protien it would add to a mix.

Last edited:
you all know that hemp is not the same thing as marijuana, right?

Yeah, we know. We just enjoy making immature jokes.
duc.gif

Quote:
Yes, I know. It was one of the first things our colonists grew, it was used for weaving fabric among other things. I am sure it was also fed to chickens until growing it for any uses was outlawed in the states.

Although, I would have to wonder if the expense of hemp seeds would be worth any nutritional benefits? I know that because it's not grown (except of course in Humboult County
tongue.png
) commercially in the states it would be pricey. Just my thoughts, take it or leave it.

Yeah, I know they grow a lot of it up in Canada and since I live really close to the border I thought It might be easier for me to find an affordable source.

Would be a very valuable grain and fiber crop for farmers if people weren't so wacky about it. The hemp grown for seed has little or no thc. My dad had 40 acres of it during WW II, grown essentially for the superior fibers it produced. It is a very good food for both Pigeons and Chickens. I used to get it in 100 pound bags that were susposedly sterilized.

I just feed some to the team and they seemed to like it alright. From the info on that website it seems like hemp seeds should cure all that ails them.

We had a bag of seeds in the fridge my DH brought home awhile back. We had completely forgot about them.

Back
Top Bottom