Hen’s middle toe curling in! Please help!

ChattyChicken64

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
Today I noticed one of my 10-11ish week old buff Orpingtons’ toes was turned in 😮 she seems totally fine otherwise and doesn’t seem to be having trouble walking. The only info I could really find was about how chicks can get claw paralysis, but my girls are older and it’s only one toe (so far). They are still on chick starter.
Thank you so much for any assistance at all!

Hi! Thanks for asking this question! I'm posting in this thread so I can follow the responses... because I have the same question! Our girls are also about 10 weeks old, we're also still on chick starter, and I've just recently noticed 4 of our black Australorp's with this issue, 2 of them just one toe is curling, 1 with one foot pretty badly curled, and 1 with both feet having some curling. Like yours, the issue started when they were older, and my girls also don't seem to have any difficulty walking (they don't seem bothered at all actually). But I'm concerned they won't be able to scratch, or roost/balance...? Hoping someone can offer some advice. Thanks in advance for any help y'all! (Hope it's alright to tag along with your thread 😏)

here is a picture!

B68C5E76-3A60-4F98-9970-5A1DD82C2251.jpeg

Today I noticed one of my 10-11ish week old buff Orpingtons’ toes was turned in 😮 she seems totally fine otherwise and doesn’t seem to be having trouble walking. The only info I could really find was about how chicks can get claw paralysis, but my girls are older and it’s only one toe (so far). They are still on chick starter.
Thank you so much for any assistance at all!

Crooked toes. At her age, likely they can't be fixed.
It won't hurt to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex a couple of times a week for a few weeks.

There is a difference between Crooked Toes and Curled Toe Paralysis.
Here's some reading for you
htthttps://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/curled-toes/ps://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/crooked-toes/

Hi! Thanks for asking this question! I'm posting in this thread so I can follow the responses... because I have the same question! Our girls are also about 10 weeks old, we're also still on chick starter, and I've just recently noticed 4 of our black Australorp's with this issue, 2 of them just one toe is curling, 1 with one foot pretty badly curled, and 1 with both feet having some curling. Like yours, the issue started when they were older, and my girls also don't seem to have any difficulty walking (they don't seem bothered at all actually). But I'm concerned they won't be able to scratch, or roost/balance...? Hoping someone can offer some advice. Thanks in advance for any help y'all! (Hope it's alright to tag along with your thread 😏)
This sounds just like what we’ve got going on. I hope we can figure it out! ☺️

Crooked toes. At her age, likely they can't be fixed.
It won't hurt to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex a couple of times a week for a few weeks.

There is a difference between Crooked Toes and Curled Toe Paralysis.
Here's some reading for you
htthttps://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/curled-toes/ps://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/crooked-toes/
Ah, thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom