Hen’s second chance?

BantamUsername

Chirping
Feb 26, 2018
a day ago my broody hen tried to hatch a batch of eggs, unfortunately only one egg hatched successfully, although today morning I saw that the hen moved into another hen’s nesting box what should I do, (the nesting box she moved to has 14 fertile eggs of which I would be happy if she hatched them) but my question is will she actually hatch them or will she simply leave and abandon the eggs? Should I remove the only chick that she has? (Currently She is still broody)

Last edited:
Is her chick still alive? She can’t brood chicks and brood eggs at the same time.

Even if the one hatchling died, I wouldn’t let het brood again for some time. She’s already been sat for 3 weeks. Broodiness takes a big toll on their bodies, they lose weight and don’t move as much, and they’re more susceptible to parasites.

Is her chick still alive? She can’t brood chicks and brood eggs at the same time.

Even if the one hatchling died, I wouldn’t let het brood again for some time. She’s already been sat for 3 weeks. Broodiness takes a big toll on their bodies, they lose weight and don’t move as much, and they’re more susceptible to parasites.
Yes her only chick is still alive , although I can possibly move her chick

I would remove her and her chick and isolate them in a large area within the coop/run so that she will focus her attention on the chick that hatched and abandon the eggs that she did not start incubating in any meaningful way yet.
Put chick starter and water in with her and the chick and when you see she is feeding it and scratching around for it, let them out to intermingle with the rest of the flock. If she is truly broody, she will defend the chick and raise it.
Collect all the eggs laid by the rest of your flock daily.

I would remove her and her chick and isolate them in a large area within the coop/run so that she will focus her attention on the chick that hatched and abandon the eggs that she did not start incubating in any meaningful way yet.
Put chick starter and water in with her and the chick and when you see she is feeding it and scratching around for it, let them out to intermingle with the rest of the flock. If she is truly broody, she will defend the chick and raise it.
Collect all the eggs laid by the rest of your flock daily.

I agree with @DobieLover, the chick is still alive so she needs to raise it.

Back
Top Bottom