Hen abandoned eggs-

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DomiHentrix, Jul 5, 2009.

1. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Songster

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    My hen hatched two eggs (one on the 2nd and the 3rd) and then abandoned the other two yesterday. I just candled them on wednesday and they appeared to be viable, what should I do?

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    If you have an incubator, put them in that. If not, either try to build an incubator or search everywhere for something that could be used as one; just about anything that has ventilation, the right temp.(99-101*F) and has the right humidity(around 50-60%) could be used as an incubator. Good luck and remember not to turn them if they are at or past day 18.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Do just as much as you are willing to do for their sake. I think it's nature's way for chickens to lay more eggs than they need to have hatch, then they hatch more chicks than they need to survive to adulthood. She's content with 2 out of 4, and has turned her attention to the needs of the chicks she has. Unless you are willing to devote the time & energy to hatching the remaining eggs, it's okay to just let them cool and then bury them. If you're daring you can crack them to see if there really were chicks inside. If not, just bury them whole.

If you really want to try to get them to hatch, you could use a number of things to keep them warm & moist, even surrounding them with a damp washcloth & keeping them under a desk lamp is better than nothing. Be prepared to tend to the needs of the chicks when they hatch, the Mama hen may not accept them back. I know other folks have had success getting their hens to accept chicks they didn't hatch themselves. I never could get my hens to do that.

I wish you the best whatever you decide.

4. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Songster

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Thanks! I guess I will wait and see what happens! I am concerned that they won't hatch now that they have been moved, candled a second time and they are past day 18. I know that chicks spend a great deal of time the last three days orienting themselves. Will they need "help" to pip, or would that be a dangerous thing to try?

Thanks again for all of the advice!

eta: I have raised chicks from day 3-four weeks old inside before so am willing/able to do so [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  5. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    i would say that an incubator would be your best bet. otherwise , i would find a broody hen . ive seen hens adopt chicks of different breeds.

6. birdlover

birdlover Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well, hopefully they haven't gone 24 hours without heat! Some people here put them in their bra and have hatched successfully!! Believe it or not! If you don't have an incubator, do as someone suggested and wrap them LOOSELY in a slightly damp, NOT WET, wash cloth and put them in a basket and under a desk lamp. Try to get a thermometer so you can see if the temp is right. Too cool? Bend the light down. Too hot? Move the light up. I think that's the best you can do. Many people have had success with this method too. Good luck! Let us know if they hatch!

7. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Songster

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    thanks!

8. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    If you want to see if the eggs are viable, place them in a warm bowl of water. Not too hot, not too cold. Allow the water to be still and place eggs in slowly. Allow a moment for them to settle. If they are alive, they will jerk from side to side. It would be noticable, like a bobber in the water when a fish is toying with the bait.
    I would not worry about the fact that you moved and candled the eggs. I did that and it did not make any difference. I thought several eggs were dead, but I did the water thing, candled them and put 3 back under mom. In 2 days 2 hatched, there was one left. I put it in the water again, it moved so I popped it in the incubator. 1.5 days later, a healthy chick hatched peeping for its mom. And it took it while it was still wet!
    Hope this helps!

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    too bad you didn't have another hen setting.. my DH puts eggs under any chicken that is setting for more than a few days.. put her to use!!

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:DO NOT put the egg in water if you want it to live! [​IMG] Eggs have pores and that will drown the chick.

And if you want the broody hen to raise the chicks when/if they hatch, wait until nighttime and then put them with her(after they are dried off and can walk and everything on their own). Check them once and a while(especially in the morning) to make sure she doesn't reject them.

Sunny_Side_Up- you shouldn't just bury an egg if it has a live chick in it. I find that quite cruel because it suffocates the chick basically if it's still alive. [​IMG] Also, maybe the reason why you could never get your broody hens to accept the chicks was because maybe you tried to do it during the day?

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: