Hen Absess

Hen4beginners

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
Hi

I hope someone can help me with this one, I am new to keeping chickens and have re-homed 9 from my neighbour who had to move.
they are free range, live in a large shed at night with boxes, food & water.

One of the hens has developed an absess on the side of her face, on closer inspection it has burst and there is vile smelling thick yellow puss both in the side of her face and into her mouth... I have tried slucing it with boiled salt water and trying to remove as much of the yellow infection as possible with a cotton bud but its gone hard so not so easy to get.

Any suggestions on what would be the best way to help her at home or is it definatey a vet job????
Also could this effect any of the other birds?

We have called her 'stich that' as we have 2 Rottweillers and if they get to close she gives them a headbutt. So its sad to see her
sickbyc.gif

any help appreciated.

You might want to try posting a picture. Do you know what caused the abscess, was she bitten or is there something stuck in the wound? With an animal with a wound the vet is usually the best way to go if you can.

Thanks will take a picture, but in meantime

there is no obvious wound or anthing that indicates anything lodged. Looking for the best way to clean it out as the puss has gone solid to see better as from the outside there are no obvious reasons.

~will be back with picture.

You can buy Fish Mox, which is amoxicillin in capsule form. Scramble her an egg twice a day for a week with the amoxicillin sprinkled on top. That should help the infection. Continue to try and rinse it out daily. As the infection starts to clear, it may become easier. Maybe you can gently rub the area with a wet paper towel to soften the pus. Also, Betadine sugar will help draw it to the surface. Put some sugar in a bowl with a drop or two of Betadine. You don't want to dissolve the sugar, just make a thick putty. Place it in the wound. I'm guessing where it is you can't bandage it, so this might not work, but then again, who knows, maybe it will.

Good luck!

She may have a respiratory infection since they can develop sinus infection that causes swelling of the face and eyes with mycoplasma, coryza, and other diseases. In case the cause is that you might watch out for other symptoms such as eye bubbles, nasal drainage, a foul odor, sneezing, and rattles or raspy breathing. Here is a list of some diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Thanks all for our replys they are very helpful and appreciated. I will try your suggestions and try get some Fish Mox. Stich (the chicken) is ok in herself she is still wandering around and seems to be able to eat and drink OK, there doesn't seem to be anyother symptoms or swelling so I beleive this is from maybe an infected wound although can't see anything obvious. the sluicing and trying to remove the puss slowly seems to be working so far so heres hopeing.

Thanks again
thumbsup.gif
and will let you know how she gets on.

Back
Top Bottom