1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen acting lethargic, egg without shell?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BLaBauve, Aug 30, 2011.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    1) Buff Brahma Hen, 3 years old
    2) Found her lethargic and not interested in eating this afternoon.
    3) She has been this way only this afternoon/evening
    4) No other birds are ill
    5) No sign of trauma anywhere, I even bathed her rear end
    6) She would not eat earlier today, but I moved her inside and she did eat some scrambled eggs.
    7) When I moved her inside she laid down for awhile and then got up and let out what looks like egg without shell. She promptly ate the raw egg.
    8) I have moved her inside, fed her scrambled eggs, gave her probiotics - trying to figure out what to do next

My question is, does she have shell stuck inside of her? What sort of flush should I use? I bathed her rear and could not find anything that looked out of the ordinary. Any help is appreciated!

2. sabrina2109

sabrina2109 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi. Here is a link for odd eggs or accidents of the reproductive system. One includes an egg with no shell. I think this will help ease your mind about the egg shell.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

I wish you luck with her other issues. [​IMG] I wish I could help further.

3. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    Sabrina thanks for posting the link about odd eggs. I only have chicks so far but I'll keep an eye out for oddities once they start laying.

4. sabrina2109

sabrina2109 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Quote:Your Welcome.

5. chi-chi boom

chi-chi boom New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi, I have the same issue. I checked the link listed and did a bit of googling and never really found a good answer for what was going on. That being, I have a hen laying just egg with no shell and no membrane. I've gotten rubber eggs before and didn't worry too much but this membrane less layer has been acting lethargic all day and it has me a bit worried. Did your hen recover from this? Was it in fact an impacted egg?

6. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    She did recover. I still have no idea what was wrong! I gave her a warm bath and the next day she was much better!

7. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    give your girl calcium.....plain greek yogurt, buttermilk, pulverized eggshells, oyster shell, tums in her water, but she also needs vitamin D to absorb the calcium. I put 5 drops of Polysol vitamins (NO IRON) in a quart of my girls' water in the beginning, then apple cider vineager with the Mother (Braggs) in their water later.

Buy some poultry vitamins/electrolytes from your local feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by