1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen acting oddly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RaintheRooster, Jul 24, 2014.

1. RaintheRooster

RaintheRooster In the Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    In my coop
    My hen is acting kind of oddly. She just stands there slightly puffed up and doesn't react to food. She lets other hens eat her mealworms even though she's one of the top hens. I think she's a bit dehydrated but she has been like this for the past few days. I put her in a coop alone with food and water with treats in it to tempt her to drink. Her crest is a bit shriveled but other than that, she looks pretty normal.
    I'll insert a picture of her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. the chickflick

the chickflick In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    feed her some yoghurt. it never does any harm and help chickens in so many ways! its good for their digestive system and is a good food source and hydrates sick chickens. now if she doesnt want to eat the yoghurt, put some on your fingers and softly touch the end of her beak. most sick chickens will end up licking it off your fingers!
    good luck

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: