Hen Acting Strange; Standing but Won't Move, Wings Drooping

FeathersFur

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 4, 2013
I came home today to one of my RSL hens standing under the coop. She won't move, blinks slowly, her wings are drooping, and her head and tail are low, but she is still standing. I am going to try giving her food and pick her up to feel her crop, but if anyone has any idea what is wrong with her it would be much appreciated. She is 9-10 months old, and the rest of my hens are acting normal. Should I bring her inside?

Update: I tried food, but she wouldn't eat. She still hasn't moved (it has been at least 30 minutes) except to turn away when the other hens came towards her, and then she only took two steps.

Last edited:
Poor little thing. I would bring her inside just to keep an eye on her and maybe get some more observations, like her poo and other signs. I couldn't tell you what is wrong, I am sure some pro chicken folk will chime in soon!

Second update: her crop is very squishy, it almost feels like it's filled with spit and pebbles. I've brought her inside, she laid down for a few minutes and when I went to check her crop again she stood up. I also noticed that her legs are much paler than my other hens.

Hm that might be it, I can't tell if she walks strangely though, she hasn't moved more than a few steps. She doesn't have a pale face, and she wasn't going in and out of the coop or even sitting. Is there any way to tell if an egg is close to exiting without going in? I don't think I have latex gloves or lubricant... I tried feeling around that area but I didn't feel anything.

I hope someone more knowledgeable gets on and helps you out. Or better yet, she snaps out of it. I wouldn't let her go to long with out water though. That's one thing with all my animals I know could be detrimental. If she wont drink you might want to try and give her some.

After getting some advice from a neighbor who also has chickens I gave her a warm bath, massaged her behind, and reached in (after I found latex gloves and lubricant, of course). She did let some wet poop out, along with a white/yellow crummy looking liquid, when I was feeling inside for an egg, but I am currently waiting to see if she poops or lays on her own. For now I put her back in a box with bedding, food and water and covered it so that it will be mostly dark until I check on her again.

She died overnight. I gave her water in a syringe before I went to bed, but it didn't help I guess. There were still no feces this morning when I found her.

Aw, sorry.
hugs.gif
If you want to find out what she died from, you could send her for a necropsy, or even do one yourself, if you're not too squeamish.

Back
Top Bottom