Hen Acting Strange

Just saw this one too- my mom sort of looked at her feet, but I don’t know if it was only the tops? She didn’t seem injured. I’m pretty sure she drank some water in front of me, and she ate a little bit of squash. I haven’t seen her poop- and it’s hard to tell who lays what egg because we don’t have a camera set up. I’ll send photos of her and.. her poop.. (that sound weird lol) if I see her do it, in the morning.
It is more likely an egg issue, but it is good to check the bottoms of the feet for bumble foot.

She’s been laying eggs since around 19 weeks? I’m sorry I totally forgot I posted this, and it was dark by the time I did. I’ll check her in the morning. It’s possible she has an egg stuck because we’ve been getting 4-5 eggs a day instead of 6. We don’t always get 6 in a day, but it’s still a bit odd. I feel bad I didn’t read this sooner. I hope she’s okay until the morning. Thanks all for the advice!
If you do think a stuck egg is a possibility, it's best to go ahead and check asap.

If you do think a stuck egg is a possibility, it's best to go ahead and check asap.
Okay. I really can’t go out rn tho. It’s too dark. We have coyotes, and my dogs are all asleep. My main “guardian dog” is with my parents. They just went to bed. I’m going to go check on her as soon as I wake up tho. How would I go about checking “the vent?” Actually, I could probably look that up haha

Okay. I really can’t go out rn tho. It’s too dark. We have coyotes, and my dogs are all asleep. My main “guardian dog” is with my parents. They just went to bed. I’m going to go check on her as soon as I wake up tho. How would I go about checking “the vent?”
I believe that it is this, but listen to others over me: Clean your hands thoroughly. Put on clean gloves. Gently insert a finger into the vent. If you feel something hard, soft, or really blocking at all, than there is a problem. If not, then there is another issue. It may be good to wrap said hen in a towel or secure her in some way, and maybe have another person on hand.

I believe that it is this, but listen to others over me: Clean your hands thoroughly. Put on clean gloves. Gently insert a finger into the vent. If you feel something hard, soft, or really blocking at all, than there is a problem. If not, then there is another issue. It may be good to wrap said hen in a towel or secure her in some way, and maybe have another person on hand.
Okay. That’s what I thought. But what do I then do if something is blocked up?

That's a great question for someone who isn't me XD I believe that you give them a warm bath, at least to start.
I watched a few videos... basically, if she’s egg bound she only has 48 hours- and she wouldn’t be pooping.. I’m not sure if this is the case though. They said to soak her in hot water and espom salt. To help her release the egg.

I watched a few videos... basically, if she’s egg bound she only has 48 hours- and she wouldn’t be pooping.. I’m not sure if this is the case though. They said to soak her in hot water and espom salt. To help her release the egg.
Tomorrow morning bring her inside and do the vent thing ASAP. Do you have a dog crate or something you could keep her in?

Tomorrow morning bring her inside and do the vent thing ASAP. Do you have a dog crate or something you could keep her in?
Yes. We have a huge one in the run, and we have a smaller dog crate inside. I really don’t think she’s egg bound, but it’s possible something is blocking up.

So her vent is super clean. And she seems to be acting better today. So we didn’t check inside it. My mom thinks that maybe she ate too many treats from the last couple days. The reds in particular like to eat A Lot of the spoils we bring out. Especially Marcy and Dorothy. So even tho it was only a couple days, she may have eaten too much. She had some squash, and pooped.

Attachments

• 9EC88371-E005-4DCD-BAAF-5413588751FB.jpeg
    9EC88371-E005-4DCD-BAAF-5413588751FB.jpeg
    672.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom