Hen acting strange

shakin_the_trees

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
Yesterday I noticed my hen walking weird and standing like she was straining or trying to lay an egg. She’s eating and drinking fine. Her vent looks normal besides having a little bit of poopy butt. Her abd feels swollen. I thought she was egg bound but after I isolated her, she is pooping. Any ideas or things I can try?

Attachments

• 7C26841F-8668-4A4C-9479-BA7B54871A72.jpeg
    7C26841F-8668-4A4C-9479-BA7B54871A72.jpeg
    797.3 KB · Views: 81
Yesterday I noticed my hen walking weird and standing like she was straining or trying to lay an egg. She’s eating and drinking fine. Her vent looks normal besides having a little bit of poopy butt. Her abd feels swollen. I thought she was egg bound but after I isolated her, she is pooping. Any ideas or things I can try?
I’m expert in roosters but not in hens but her tail is down so she must be in pain @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

How old is she? Does she lay eggs, and have you seen any soft eggs recently? Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent about 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg or an obstruction? If you suspect that she is egg bound, get some human calcium citrate tablets with D3 from Walmart or similar pharmacy and give one daily until she lays or you feel she is not egg bound. Tums will do until you get that. I would suspect with her tail down, she is having some sort of reproductive disorder or infection. What do her poops look like? Is her lower belly swollen? Is she eating or drinking? How old is she?

How old is she? Does she lay eggs, and have you seen any soft eggs recently? Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent about 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg or an obstruction? If you suspect that she is egg bound, get some human calcium citrate tablets with D3 from Walmart or similar pharmacy and give one daily until she lays or you feel she is not egg bound. Tums will do until you get that. I would suspect with her tail down, she is having some sort of reproductive disorder or infection. What do her poops look like? Is her lower belly swollen? Is she eating or drinking? How old is she?
She is about 3-5 years old (our previous owners of our place left her so I don’t know exact age) she does lay eggs, but I am not sure if she has laid in the last week. I have not seen any soft, shelled eggs as of recent. I will try to insert a glove finger now to see if there’s any obstruction, but she has been pooping, and it looks normal, and she is eating and drinking.

I just did the test. I don’t feel any eggs or soft shelled. Just squish. And she pooped a little again afterwards. She does feel super swollen in the belly area . Any ideas of what you think is going on? Like I said before it seems like she’s been losing weight as I can feel her front bone. I don’t see any more or lice activity, everyone else is normal acting, I don’t see signs of parasites. I gave them all one dose of safeguard earlier in the spring. (On another note, do you put the safeguard goat in water? I see a bunch of people putting it in water but it’s not water soluable)

She is about 3-5 years old (our previous owners of our place left her so I don’t know exact age) she does lay eggs, but I am not sure if she has laid in the last week. I have not seen any soft, shelled eggs as of recent. I will try to insert a glove finger now to see if there’s any obstruction, but she has been pooping, and it looks normal, and she is eating and drinking.
I just did the test. I don’t feel any eggs or soft shelled. Just squish. And she pooped a little again afterwards. She does feel super swollen in the belly area . Any ideas of what you think is going on? Like I said before it seems like she’s been losing weight as I can feel her front bone. I don’t see any more or lice activity, everyone else is normal acting, I don’t see signs of parasites. I gave them all one dose of safeguard earlier in the spring. (On another note, do you put the safeguard goat in water? I see a bunch of people putting it in water but it’s not water soluable)
A swollen abdomen is often due to reproductive disorders or possibly organ failure.

I'd work on hydration, get the calcium into her. See if she will eat for you.

Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or equine paste is dosed orally by weight.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

How would your recommend me giving it? On top of feed or in water? Do you think it would be a safe bet to try giving her a dewormer at this point? Or do you think she’s just an organ failure?

How would your recommend me giving it? On top of feed or in water? Do you think it would be a safe bet to try giving her a dewormer at this point? Or do you think she’s just an organ failure?
I don't know if deworming her will help or not.
This is not the first hen you've had that has had reproductive problems is it? Do her symptoms not look similar to you?

As posted, Safeguard is given orally, so no, it's not put in the water or feed. Here's how to give oral medications.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

👇👇
Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or equine paste is dosed orally by weight.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Back
Top Bottom