Hen acting strange

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by averycatherwood, Jan 15, 2014.

1. averycatherwood

averycatherwood Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Concord, North Carolina
    So I have four hens that are all healthy, active, and playful. However, one of my hens, a Barred Rock, has been acting quite strange lately. She will go into the coop and pace back and forth. She might jump onto one of the roosts for about a minute, and then jump into the nesting box like she is about to lay an egg, but does not. She even sings the egg laying song. It's almost as if she feels like she can't get comfortable. She is right at a perfect laying age as well. Does this mean that she is going to be laying rather soon? Is this normal behavior for a hen who is about to lay?

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    Pullets, in my experience, practice before the big event! Yay! You should be getting eggs soon.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If this is a young bird, yes, she is about to lay an egg. Even adult birds will do this when they are about to lay or thinking about laying an egg. My girls look like they are very frustrated sometimes hopping in and out of the boxes, going outside, going back in. LOL Eventually that egg has to come out and they get down to business!

4. BillM2

BillM2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    My Barred Rocks made such a big racket before laying their eggs. It lasted less than a day and eventually they did. Sometimes even now, 4 months later, they'll let the world know they've got an egg coming. I just wish they'd use those nice nesting boxes I built!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by