Hen adopts 3 month old cockerals.

I've had that happen multiple times.
I currently have a hen who wasn't broody but took over a brooder with about 30 four to six week old chicks.
About 3 years ago, another hen put herself into a brooder house with about 40 chicks of various ages. I think I have a picture somewhere.
Another time I had a lone cockerel about 10 weeks of age. I put six, one week old chicks with him. After he stopped freaking out finally being with other birds, he adopted them and would attack my hand every time I reached into the brooder.
I really think he was thrilled to have friends after growing up alone with a mirror and feather duster for company.

Last edited:
I've had that happen multiple times.
I currently have a hen who wasn't broody but took over a brooder with about 30 four to six week old chicks.
About 3 years ago, another hen put herself into a brooder house with about 40 chicks of various ages. I think I have a picture somewhere.
Another time I had a lone cockerel about 10 weeks of age. I put six, one week old chicks with him. After he stopped freaking out finally being with other birds, he adopted them and would attack my hand every time I reached into the brooder.
:gig:lau
I'd love to see that pic!

I have a 2 year old Chocolate Orpington hen who suddenly decided to take over the 8 week old boy chicks that my bloody was done with. They are now over 3 months old, and she sleeps on them and feeds them and worst, still attacks other chickens who come near the boys. Is this in any way normal? What should I do?
Pics... or it didn't happen! :pop

Thanks for all the shares, I have not yet experienced this kind of wonderful (and possibly frustrating) hilarity. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom