Hen aloof and lethargic, barely eating - help

I haven't noticed worms in the poop, or any other invaders around her vent. I'll definitely post an update once she receives the medicine. Being a relative newbie, I haven't wormed them before, so I really hope that works.

I am also experiencing very similar symptoms in my chicken. In fact I have lost 2 chickens in the last 2 weeks of these symptoms and I noticed another one seemed off as of yesterday. I am anxious to hear any advice because I am concerned that it is something that is passing from chicken to chicken. 😢

So I took my chicken to the vet yesterday! The vet thinks its either a bacterial infection or perhaps a parasite. She gave her antibiotics and a de-wormer and sent her poop off to the lab. I'll get those results today! She's not herself yet, but I can keep you posted!

Her symptoms were: lethargic, not showing interest in food / drinking, not acting herself (vocally, running around, foraging). Her comb / wattle were still red and perky and she had laid an egg prior. We did have a heat wave the day these symptoms spiked, but she was brought into the house next day and given electrolytes.

Hope your chickens are doing better today!

So I took my chicken to the vet yesterday! The vet thinks its either a bacterial infection or perhaps a parasite. She gave her antibiotics and a de-wormer and sent her poop off to the lab. I'll get those results today! She's not herself yet, but I can keep you posted!

Her symptoms were: lethargic, not showing interest in food / drinking, not acting herself (vocally, running around, foraging). Her comb / wattle were still red and perky and she had laid an egg prior. We did have a heat wave the day these symptoms spiked, but she was brought into the house next day and given electrolytes.

Hope your chickens are doing better today!
Yes keep me posted. Mine is still lethargic, comb pale and flopped over, very little appetite. Started her on Corid yesterday but not feeling very optimistic for her. I really enjoy chicken keeping but feel very inadequate when it comes to illness 😳

@chimi and @KentuckyJanet and anyone else who commented on my sick chicken's status! I thought I'd give an update since you all were so helpful. I ended up taking her to the vet on Thursday and she thought it was a bacterial infection or a parasite. She sent me home with sulfa/trim antibiotics and sent out her fecal sample. On Friday, she confirmed it was a type of worm (tapeworm, I believe) and gave me panacur to add to the drinking water for the whole flock. My sweet chicken was doing much better even a day after antibiotics and is taking her syringe medicine like a champ!

@chimi and @KentuckyJanet and anyone else who commented on my sick chicken's status! I thought I'd give an update since you all were so helpful. I ended up taking her to the vet on Thursday and she thought it was a bacterial infection or a parasite. She sent me home with sulfa/trim antibiotics and sent out her fecal sample. On Friday, she confirmed it was a type of worm (tapeworm, I believe) and gave me panacur to add to the drinking water for the whole flock. My sweet chicken was doing much better even a day after antibiotics and is taking her syringe medicine like a champ!

Great news! So glad she is doing better. I'll look into tracking down some panacur as I wait for valbazen to arrive. Thanks for the update!

Back
Top Bottom