Hen and 18 eggs?

ijustsawachickeneatafrog

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2020
A broody of mine is currently sitting on 18 eggs. 12 of them are small bantam eggs, the other six are very large eggs. Is this too many eggs for her? Will it affect the hatch rate? She's a fairly big australorp girl, but I'm worried she might struggle with too many. I really don't want to remove any of the eggs from her, so I would like to know if it's possible for her to keep them and hatch most, if not all, of them
IMG_3595.JPG

This is her in her little cosy nest :)

She's gorgeous :)
18 seems like alot to me but I have Silkies.... So I would say, if it looks like she is covering all the eggs then she should be fine with them all, if you see some sticking out then take some out.
Good luck with the hatch! :jumpy

If she doesn’t seem to be struggling to cover all of them they should be fine. I would candle after a week and take out any infertile to make a little extra room, which is a good idea anyway so you don’t have any going bad.

If she doesn’t seem to be struggling to cover all of them they should be fine. I would candle after a week and take out any infertile to make a little extra room, which is a good idea anyway so you don’t have any going bad.
Thanks for the help!
I was planning on removing the infertile ones after a week or so to make room. They all seem to fit snugly beneath her at the moment, so I won't bother removing any just yet :)

Back
Top Bottom