Hen and Duck both nesting in same nest - Hen taking over - Duck not happy

NewChicKMom2014

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Southwest Missouri
I have a hen (black white crested polish) and a female duck who both have laid eggs in the same nest and both wanting nest on them. However my little hen tends to take over leaving my duck trying to tend to her own eggs. Also for some reason they made a nest and laid them all together on the bottom of the coop, not in the nesting boxes. Is it okay to make new nest for them and separate the eggs so they both can nest on their own eggs or should we leave them be? Another thing is we are in process of building a bigger coop and should be done in a few weeks and will need to move everyone in before winter and were we live it is already getting cold and their current coop just wouldn't be warm enough for them and their eggs/babies for winter, so they have to be moved. I fear they won't be hatched before moving time. Advice please.

I would separate them, simply because duck eggs usually have a longer incubation time than chicken eggs. I would be worried that the chicks would hatch and they'd both abandon the duck eggs to take care of them. If the eggs haven't hatched by the time you're ready to move them, move your brooding hens at night. It lessens the chances of them freaking out and getting up from their nests. When I have to move sitting hens, I take everything, including the bedding they're nesting on. It usually works out just fine, but sometimes they aren't fooled and decide they're done with it all. Its just one of those things you won't know for sure until you do it.

Good luck!

Well I separated them and duck went right back where they were in original nest. So I just put them all back together and chicken is on them now. We will just see what happens. Duck had laid most hers before chicken did. We will just watch see what happens. Almost considering buying a incubator but not sure this far along. We should have chicks by end the month. Maybe will try separating when we have to move to new coop.

Ok well its been about 25 days now and now hatching yet from chicken or duck eggs. I want to try candle the eggs but getting momma a hen off the eggs is a chore. And I don't want reach under her last time I did she bit me good. Should I go ahead candle them to to make sure ok? How do I tell if they peeping? Advice please how tell if babies ready. New coop done and ready move everyone into. I was hoping babies hatched before moving.

The chicken eggs should have hatched by now for sure. I would definitely check those. If they've pipped internally, you'll see their little beaks moving inside the air cell. If they've died in the shell, mine usually have really weird shaped air cells. I believe most duck eggs take 28 days to hatch, I would let those go for a few more days and check them on day 29 if you haven't seen any action.
When I candle my broodies eggs, I do it at night. They're usually pretty out of it in the dark, but they do try to peck around blindly sometimes, so you might need some heavy gloves if you don't want to chance a bite. I just pull them one at a time, shine the light on them and put them on the coop floor in front of the nest box. Then I put them all back when I'm done. Good luck!

I went out and candled them this morning and I saw movement and they had good air cells, so maybe my dates off a bit. My duck also had some new ones that aren't as far along some the others. She lays them but won't stay on them but my little chicken will sit on them and has hers with the duck eggs.

Unfortunately I found one that had been rolled out and it was very cold. My husband opened it and it was gone :(

We going to wait a little longer see what happens. If all else fails we will try an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom