Hen aspirated Baytril

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ptowne, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ptowne

ptowne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2008
    I just gave my hen a dose of Baytril prescribed by the vet and she seems to have aspirated some into her lungs. She is making a wheezing, wet sound when she breathes. My vet is closed. She is sitting up on her roost. Will she be okay? Can I do anything to help her?
    Pam

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    There is nothing you can do. Keep an eye on her and hope for the best. The air sacs are very sensitive on birds and this can be fatal. I hope not, but you should be prepared for the worst. Please keep us posted on how she does. Fingers crossed that not much went in there.

Jody

3. ptowne

Sep 13, 2008
    Well, it's been over 24 hours and she seems okay. I really hope she's going to be alright.
    Pam

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hi Pam,
    Keep us posted.
    Renee

5. ptowne

Sep 13, 2008
    She had her last dose of Baytril tonight. She still seems okay, still thin and tired, but okay. I'm going to give her a nice bowl of yogurt and oatmeal in the morning to get some good bacteria back in her after the Baytril.
    Pam

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

How scary that had to have been. I am glad she is done with that medication, for your sake.
    Some good ole scrambled egg, some cooked rice and a few green grass sprigs should perk her right up! They say not to give cut grass, but a little included in her breakfast/supper cut up should just peek her intrest for the food.
    Take care,
    Kel [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Pam, I'm glad to hear she is doing ok too. Thank goodness. :aww I hope she's feeling much better soon.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by