Hen ate a 12in strip of vetwrap

Rhyara

Chirping
Sep 22, 2022
Mn
Treatment options and guides PLEASE!

As the title said.
We're treating a couple girls for bumblefoot. I wrapped each wound with gauze and approximately 1inx12in strips of vet wrap. I noticed a foot was bare this morning and thanks to our many cameras I was able to see which one ate it. It was just yesterday that she ate it.

I will definitely be checking her crop first thing in the morning, but I don't know what else I can do...
If there isn't a blockage, how long does it take for "food" to completely go through their systems?
I was trying to help them get better, but I've made it so much worse...

Edit:
It's been about 22hours since she ate it, she is acting normally so far and just laid an egg, I'm just so worried for her.

Last edited:
There have been threads about chickens swallowing similar things, I think one was 2’ of paracord. Nothing ever showed up having gone thru the system, but the hen never showed any issues and was just fine years later when we enquired.

That is very comforting, thank you.
I saw a couple threads about others eating vetwrap, but they were only small pieces (4-5in) with no real follow up posts...

Gave her some oil soaked bread since that seemed to be recommended a lot. I'll be watching her on the cameras and hopefully tomorrow I won't be able to feel anything in her crop.

The sweet doof in question. She has always been the best at treat football, I shouldn't be surprised she's the one that ate it.

Attachments

• 20231103_170111.jpg
    20231103_170111.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 7
I couldn't feel anything in her crop this morning, so it must've passed on. Didn't see any aqua in their overnight droppings though (color of the vet wrap). Hopefully it'll get shredded enough in the gizzard and just pass though. Shes still acting normally.
🤞

I couldn't feel anything in her crop this morning, so it must've passed on. Didn't see any aqua in their overnight droppings though (color of the vet wrap). Hopefully it'll get shredded enough in the gizzard and just pass though. Shes still acting normally.
🤞
How’s she doing now?

Exactly the same 🤷‍♀️
Acting fine, running around and eating as usual, crop was empty this morning. Haven't seen any vet-wrap colored poop...
I wonder if her body processed or hid the color somehow and the rest came out in shreds?
I really hope it's not trapped in her somewhere. I wouldn't think so since she has been laying eggs pretty consistently. So odd.
I'm happy, but baffled. Kindof waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Well in those links I posted, the others who swallowed paracord, etc never had any issues or pooped anything out….
I’m reminded of a poem
"Long ago there was a cat, Who swallowed a ball of yarn; And when the cat had kittens, They all had sweaters on."

Back
Top Bottom