Hen ate moldy food

She ate (I think) Dumo layer feed. She's almost 7 years old. Walking very slowly. Can't jump up very well. Keeping her head tucked in alot and not moving around much. She will eat worms i give her but not much interest in other treats. Been checked for mites and eggbound and tried to worm her. Has watery poops.

Last edited:
She ate (I think) Dumo layer feed. She's almost 7 years old. Walking very slowly. Can't jump up very well. Keeping her head tucked in alot and not moving around much. She will eat worms i give her but not much interest in other treats. Been checked for mites and eggbound and tried to worm her. Has watery poops.

Was the feed moldy, how long ago did she eat the food? (In hours/days).

Unfortunately, at 7yrs of age, the symptoms could be "old age". Is her belly swollen? I see you checked her for "eggbound", but has she been laying eggs? With her being puffed up, and walking slowly it could be either Ascites or Egg Yolk Peritonitis which are different from having an egg stuck ("eggbound").

She hasn't been laying yet, her comb just starting to be red. I gave her a cooked egg ( store bought) and while she was slowly eating it she did the neck movement like people talk about with sour crop so I gave her some yogurt and later AC vinegar in water. Also massaged her crop a little. Its not swollen. She eats up worms with no problem though. It is probably old age related ascites or peritonitis but I'm gonna try everything I can before I give up on her. Thank you for replying!

She hasn't been laying yet, her comb just starting to be red. I gave her a cooked egg ( store bought) and while she was slowly eating it she did the neck movement like people talk about with sour crop so I gave her some yogurt and later AC vinegar in water. Also massaged her crop a little. Its not swollen. She eats up worms with no problem though. It is probably old age related ascites or peritonitis but I'm gonna try everything I can before I give up on her. Thank you for replying!
I'm sorry if you had the impression it was time to give up on her.
It sounds like you have taken really good care of her. I was just going by some of the symptoms you were describing, it didn't sound like a moldy food problem. You may want to search here on BYC or google, about each condition and determine if there is supportive care you can give her to make her more comfortable if need be.

Oh no, I didn't at all think you meant for me to give up on her. I'm just frustrated that she is ill and there doesn't seem to be much I can do to help her. Its so hard to see my chicken children sick.

Oh no, I didn't at all think you meant for me to give up on her. I'm just frustrated that she is ill and there doesn't seem to be much I can do to help her. Its so hard to see my chicken children sick.

I understand
hugs.gif

I don't know if you read any blogs about chickens, but I have read Terry Golson for years (even before I had chickens). For those of us who have followed her, we came to get to know her "girls". She writes about chickens in a no nonsense realistic way, that I find appealing. She keeps them past their prime and shares with us. I cry every time one of them has to go. You can look at her FAQ page and search about keeping older hens, it may help you find something that can help or at least give you comfort you are not alone.

Here is one of her articles: http://hencam.com/henblog/2013/11/caring-for-feeble-old-hens/

Thank you for the link. I will check it out! I have had backyard chickens for over 20 years and keep them all until they die of natual causes. My backyard is kind of full of unmarked chicken graves. I last lost one about two years ago apparently from heart attack or some related issue as it was quite fast. She was 7 or 8 years old. Its always sad to lose one. Its been a while since i lost one to slow a disease.
1f61e.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom