hen attacked by a dog.

shamnesiac

Hatching
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Saying that I am new to all of this would be a huge understatement.

I haven't personally cared for any chickens up until Sunday, when a poor trusting chicken decided to come into my backyard and my jerk dog decided to attack her. She has three puncture wounds, one under each wing and one on her back. My heart ached for the sweet little bird, so I cleaned her wounds, which weren't too deep but still concerned me, put her in a pet carrier (large dog size) and gave her food and fresh water. She has been hanging out in my house since, and is eating, drinking, and even layed an egg this morning.

The egg was a sign to me that maybe this sweet girl is on her way to recovery, but I was wondering if I should hold onto her for a couple more days. Keep the wounds clean, keep her carrier clean, and keep the fresh food and water available for when she needs it. She really isn't a hassle, and I have grown attached, but don't want to deprive her of the sweet chicken life she was leading before my jerk dog tried to eat her.

Any thoughts? How long would you keep a hurt chicken isolated until you let her go?

Are you going to set her free? From what I've read, chickens do heal quickly and can recover from quite traumatic injuries. you did all the right things...clean the wounds, isolate the bird, etc..
I'd think you'd need to find the chickens owner otherwise if you let it free, your dog will just attack it again.

Maybe you could put up some flyers to see if anyone is missing a chicken?

If you can't, or don't want to keep her, I would check with neighbors, and possibly put up flyers to see if anyone claims her. If your turn her loose, chances are she will wander back into your yard and the dog will get her again. Chickens are easy to keep for the most part, and very rewarding to raise. You may find you really enjoy having her around if no one claims her.

Back
Top Bottom