Hen Attacked by Bob Cat

Kissthekiwi

Chirping
Jul 22, 2018
Last night, a bob cat attacked my chickens and killed one. The other hen appears to be okay as it relates to physical injuries -- she may have a small puncture wound on her head that I've been treating with antibiotic ointment, but it's really hard to tell. She seems to be in shock though, or perhaps even has internal injuries, I don't know. She's just sitting with her eyes closed and twitching her head. I've given her electrolytes and probiotics through a syringe, as well as some aspirin for pain. When I pick her up, she jostles around a bit and she's moving spots in the emergency pen I've set up for her. Does anyone have any other advice that could help her? How long do I leave her like this before humanely euthanizing her is the better option? Ugh, this is awful!

You are lucky that she wasn’t carried off and eaten. We had a bobcat take out 3 of our older hens a few years ago. They ran and ran, and we only spotted the bobcat middle of the afternoon when she came back to get the last body and take it over the fence.

Very sorry for your chicken. I would use saline on the wound, and apply the antibiotic ointment twice a day. While in shock, keep her separated in a dim and quiet spot, and offer clean water or electrolytes up to her beak if she is alert. Let us know how she gets along.,

Sadly, she passed away last night. Poor thing. Glad she's out of her misery though. Thank you for the advise.

Back
Top Bottom