Hen attacked by hawk torn skin

darlingja

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
Please help.
My 7 weeks old hen was attacked by a hawk.
She has not start laying egg yet.
She lost a third of her feathers all over. Her skin on her right breast under wing torn about 2x2 inches no bleeding. I can see her inner meat.
Her right knee torn about an inch. Minor scratches here and there. At first she limped, but after we sprayed her with vetericyn and neosporin non pain relief she walk around and eat normally.
I'm not sure what to do with her open skin?
It looks bad. Do I need to get antibiotics?
Thank you

Keep her warm and hydrated; on some type of clean, non-flakey bedding like a puppy pad or a towel; and away from the other birds that will take interest in her wounds.

Keep her warm and hydrated; on some type of clean, non-flakey bedding like a puppy pad or a towel; and away from the other birds that will take interest in her wounds.
Hi thank you for replying ^_^
She prefers to be with her group, so I let her. Her wounds are under her wing, so other chicken doesn't bother her.
I'm more concerned of infection and open wounds that big.

She prefers to be with her group, so I let her. Her wounds are under her wing, so other chicken doesn't bother her.
You could put her in a crate in the coop. I'm concerned about her being around bedding and poop and dust.

Can you put antibiotic ointment on the wound?
It's a tear skin about 2 inches round. I can see the meat inside, but amazingly no blood. I sprayed vetericyn allover and put neosporin just on the skin. I'm afraid to hurt her if I stick my finger in.

Please help.
My 7 weeks old hen was attacked by a hawk.
She has not start laying egg yet.
She lost a third of her feathers all over. Her skin on her right breast under wing torn about 2x2 inches no bleeding. I can see her inner meat.
Her right knee torn about an inch. Minor scratches here and there. At first she limped, but after we sprayed her with vetericyn and neosporin non pain relief she walk around and eat normally.
I'm not sure what to do with her open skin?
It looks bad. Do I need to get antibiotics?
Thank you
It's a tear skin about 2 inches round. I can see the meat inside, but amazingly no blood. I sprayed vetericyn allover and put neosporin just on the skin. I'm afraid to hurt her if I stick my finger in.
Please post some photos of her injury.
Did you flush out her wounds really well?
Vetericyn and plain neosporin are fine to use.

Keep us posted.

Please post some photos of her injury.
Did you flush out her wounds really well?
Vetericyn and plain neosporin are fine to use.

Keep us posted.
Hi ^_^ I didn't take pictures.
She seems to be doing better.
I just checked her wounds this morning and apply more neosporin.
The wounds look like they are drying up.
The chicken seems fine, eating drinking, running for treats and hanging out with her friends.
Thank you so much for all your suggestions ^_^

Back
Top Bottom