Hen attacked/lost all belly feathers- can she stay in the cold

Stephkyles

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
Something drug my hand off and plotter clean of her belly feathers and hind back feathers but she somehow managed to escape and showed back up the next morning. She doesn't have any major wounds but I'm concerned about her being in the cold without any feathers on her belly. Can she make it in the coop without a heating source? We live in Texas so the nights get down into the 40s and daytime is currently in the high 50s. She's about 2 years old.

I would think she be ok but i give her the option to get in out of the wind during the day and see what she does. If she wont come out of the coop i going to say she cold if thats the case i would keep her inside at night for sure. I know were i live the low to night 37 so it be cold but it honestly depends on what part of texas you live. If you live in central/south texas she should be fine east/west/north texas i would be more concerned as those areas see snow.

I ordered her a chicken sweater and was going to see if that helped. I live near Houston.

The only bad thing about chicken sweaters is that it prevents them from being able to fluff their feathers to keep warm. Might want to look into that before putting her in it.

Back
Top Bottom