Hen attacked me

Hen or rooster, doesn't matter much. When I have an aggressive or assertive rooster, I take the following protocol to put them in their place-

Put on some tall rubber boots, you'll need these to protect your legs. Walk out to the chicken coop, and face the attacker head on. Walk toward him or her. When she tries to flog/peck/attack you, raise your foot to place the boot between the two of you. If/as the attacker pursues flogging your boot, hop towards her and back her against a fence or corner. Once she hits the fence she will likely turn to run. Quickly pin her agains the fence with your boot and reach down and grab her. Holding her wings, place her on her side against the ground. Hold her there using your hand and pressing against her wing, and a finger to hold her head down. Some times I lightly peck, or tap their face. Hold her there for a moment, then gently release her.
I can take a few times, but usually works well.
Thank you, it was just so unlike her.....the other one will chase the dogs but Louise is so mellow....

I got a welsummer that was sexed wrong, turned out to be a rooster instead of the hen I ordered. I was given a refund.

So what does she do that's aggressive?
Just what I said in my original post....she has never been aggressive at all except this afternoon when I was filling water bowl, she flew at me, used her claws and pecked my leg. Maybe just a one time thing, just so surprising as she is a mellow girl.....

Just what I said in my original post....she has never been aggressive at all except this afternoon when I was filling water bowl, she flew at me, used her claws and pecked my leg. Maybe just a one time thing, just so surprising as she is a mellow girl.....
Definitely sounds like an attack.

Mine will attempt attacking me when I try to touch her.

Definitely sounds like an attack.

Mine will attempt attacking me when I try to touch her.
Yeah, she will hang out with me when I'm on the patio etc but she doesn't like to be touched either, but I was ignoring her. Maybe that was the problem...lol I'm just hoping it's not a trait she is going to develop into her adulthood as she is just 18 months. Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, she will hang out with me when I'm on the patio etc but she doesn't like to be touched either, but I was ignoring her. Maybe that was the problem...lol I'm just hoping it's not a trait she is going to develop into her adulthood as she is just 18 months. Thanks for your feedback.
It may have been a one time thing, but she may end up being a repeat offender.

Back
Top Bottom