Hen Attacking Me!

sweetlime

Hatching
10 Years
May 5, 2009
I have a 1 year old Sussex. She randomly began attacking my 1 year old Polish, and pecked her head bald. So lately, I have kept the Sussex free ranging in the backyard while the Polish is safe inside the chicken run.

My Sussex has never been aggressive to me before, and this past week she has begun to aggressively attack me! She pecks and flys at me, fluffs her feathers, and acts very territorial. Why is my chicken turning against me?!? Is it because she feels she "owns" the backyard now? She does not attack my husband, and she does not attack me when my husband is around.

I don't know what to do. Is this a phase? I can't have her attacking both me and my little Polish. :-(

Not really sure, but could be going broody? Maybe she is just really hormonal, but if she stays aggressive I would say she should go to the freezer or be rehomed.

ETA: Maybe you could try to act as the dominant 'hen' ? I did it with my chicks somewhat, not sure with a hen though
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Could be that she is going broody or trying to show she is top hen.

Before turning her into chicken burgers it would be worthwhile catching her (easiest first thing in the morning when she leaves the coop) and walking around with her under your arm for a while as we do with aggressive males. If it is dominance aggression this will show her both you are boss and that you mean her no harm.

If she is going broody she would normally only display aggressive behaviour around her nest or eggs.

Sandie

My sussex started attacking me but I chased her around the yard a number of times a day - in front of every one else - for quite a number of days. Then the australorp started on me, so I did the same thing to her. They are both good now, though very occasionally, to remind them, I will briefly chase them!
lol.png

That is not normal hen behavior. I have only seen a hen display aggression toward a person when she was broody. Why don't you put some eggs or golf balls in her nest and see what happens.

My barred bantam cochin hen was challenging me a bit, she got my roo treatment....held her upside down by her feet and she got the message

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom