1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen attacking other hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BirdiesNBunnies, Jan 21, 2016.

1. BirdiesNBunnies

BirdiesNBunnies New Egg

Jan 21, 2016
    Colorado
    I have a Blue Andalusian hen, named Stormy that has just reached laying age. She's always been flighty, hard to catch and not very friendly.

Today Stormy layed her egg, left her nest, and then viciously attacked my Red Star, Honey, who was quietly nesting a few boxes away. She was pecking and scratching terribly and then began mating her like a rooster. Honey finally ran off to another nest but Stormy attacked her there also and she fled the coop. Stormy left the coop as well. After a minute or two, Honey went back in to a different nest and Stormy attacked her again. I intervened at that point by removing Stormy and guarding the coop till Honey was done.

I don't understand it because Stormy is not broody and didn't want either of the nests, plus she had already layed her egg without ceremony. She doesn't set on the eggs. She just wouldn't let Honey into any of the nests. She does not bother Honey outside of the coop.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You might try some pinless peepers on Stormy, they would prevent her from seeing what's directly in front of her (which today was Honey). If you put pinless peepers in the Search box in the upper left corner of the screen you should see posts about them.

Good luck!

3. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I would keep her separated for a week or so and see what happens. If she still acted aggressive, separate again. Then if still bad, I would rehome her. It's not worth having a big bully around. Stresses everybody out. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. My girls get cranky during winter. They usually start picking on one or the other. I'll tie apples (that have been cored) on string just out of reach. They use up all their aggression and extra energy eating the apples, so they leave eachother alone. A head of cabbage is also good to use. Good luck with your girls!

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to BYC. You already have great advice so I'll just say a big hello.

Good luck

Ct

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Maybe she has reasons (hormonal ??? or otherwise) but, she just sounds psycho to me.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI

I agree with Hholly, try "time out" but if that don't work it's time to rehome. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by