Hen barely eating

ckfard

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
Kirkwood, Missouri
I have two hens in the house now as their feathers were being picked off their bottoms by the other girls. One is eating like there is no tomorrow, is in good spirits and active. The other is not eating any grain or seeds. She has only eaten pears and apples for the last several days. She is drinking water, but I don't understand why she will not eat her regular food or sunflower seeds. Her bottom is healing, but slowly. Both grew their feathers out and were put back into the coop and pen with the other girls after a little time for adjustment. There was some pecking order business, but it went pretty smoothly I thought. Two days later both were cleaned of their bottom feathers over night. Their skin was red and raw as it was in the 20's. I have been putting Blue Kote on them and triple anitbiotic creme without pain reliever. I can see new feathers coming in. I am concerned though the larger hen is eating only small amounts of fruit, her comb is very pale and she is not as spirited as usual. She spends most of her time on her roost inside the dog kennel or standing next to the other hen in the other kennel, but very quiet. BTW, the smaller hen has been crowing for a month now. She crooks her head like a rooster and lets out a pitiful crow, but a crow none the less. I know she is a she as she had been laying eggs the first couple of days she was inside. Any suggestions on getting the bigger hen to eat? Thanks!

Poor little mamas. I hate the whole pecking order thing
sad.png

Sounds like you are doing a great job of treating their bottoms. As for feeding, have you tried other treats for her? Yogurt, granola, watermelon, shredded cheese? If you can get her eating treats, her appetits should perk back up.
fl.gif

I FEEL FOR YOU I AM HAVEING THE SAME PROBLEM,EXCEPT IT ALL MY SLIVER LACED WYANDOTTS ARE GETTING THE WORSE OF IT.
YESTERDAY I PUT 2 HENS IN MY SPARE PEN. ONE OF THE HENS FEELS UNDERWEIGHT SO I GAVE HER SOME SCRAMBLED EGGS, WELL COOKED THAT SEEEMED TO HELP. TO DAY I GAVE THEM KINDEY BEANS AND YOGURT ALONG WITH HIGH PROTINE TURKEY GROWER NON MEDICATED. I ALSO DID THIS FOR THE REST OF THE FLOCK.
I AM ON A CHICKEN FEATHER EATING BUTT WATCH
lau.gif

WHEN I FIND THE LOSER I WILL TRY TO SHOW IT THE ERROR OF IT WAY OR IT WILL BE THE POT.
somad.gif

GOOD LUCK !!HOPE YOUR GIRLS ARE FEELING BETTER SOON.
hugs.gif

KEEP US INFORMED HOW THEY DO.
smile.png

I had the exact same problem with one of my new Ameraucaunas. She became the bottom of the pecking order; all her tail feathers were picked out, and her bum was raw and bloody. Poor baby. That was ~ 6 weeks ago, and she has been doing beautifully (eating, growing, healing, but still no tail feathers) until today. She stayed in the coop all day; when I brought her out to eat/drink, she showed absolutely no interest. I put her back in the coop, and when I returned a few hours later, she was hiding in a corner. Her poo is yellowish brown and runny, but it has been for a long time. She has no discharge from her beak or nostrils. I now have her isolated in a cat crate with fresh water, some yogurt and hen scratch, but she won't eat or drink. She is under a warming light, and none of the other ladies, or rooster, can get to her. Any other ideas? It seems like she won't make it through the night, but I'm hoping she'll bounce back.

I've had good luck with wet cat food. It's high in protien (salt too so not for long term use) and I credit it with saving my badly molting hen that turned her beak up at everything else--including scrambled eggs and grapes.
fl.gif

Thanks for the responses. I've been sick and did not check for posts after the first day. She is still eating fruit. I forgot to try scrambled eggs. She would probably go for them. It worked the first time this happened. She has still not touched any grain. She is more interested in eating though. Apples and pears go over well. Yogurt was too messy for her the first time and she ignored it. I went to the grocer Wednesday evening for grapes and nanners and they were sold out of both. I'll try scrambled eggs and maybe slip in sun flower seeds. I've been giving them diatamaceous earth with their feed. It should help clear any parasites they may have as well as make them feel better. Thanks again. Cynthia

Back
Top Bottom