Hen beating up my poor rooster

GryphonXV

Chirping
Dec 2, 2020
Hi, dearlings. I create a couple of chabo bantans as indoor pets since they were babies... My hen is one week younger, but they both are almost 2 years old now and are living together since I adopted them. 10 days ago, my hen got her first and only baby chick and her aggressive behavior became worse. She became very aggressive towards the rooster, who is a sweet good guy. He's a gentle bird, loves to cuddle and even while being attacked, won't attack back. My hen is an angel while with me and won't get bothered even when I take her baby, but everytime she sees my roo approaching, she tries to kill him. Is there any trick to teach her? Wanna know what I can do to help him... :(:(

How new is the baby? I'm wondering if she just needs some time away from him to raise up the chick for a while and then will calm down when she's tired of it.

Separate them until she weans the chick. She is just evidencing maternal protection.
I'm trying, but I'll try better 😭 she calls him constantly, so I allow him to visit her when it happens. I'll stop this contact for now. Thank you!

Perhaps a middleground where they can see eachother but cannot physically touch eachother? Could be something like a fence between them or putting one of them in a dog crate.

But yea, I'm with you on this one where it feels wrong to separate a flock. Seeing and talking to eachother certainly feels better than no contact.

Thank you so much for this advice! I'll try it tomorrow :love the baby chick is 11 days old, my rooster constantly climbs on my bed to stay on my lap, I feel bad for the poor little guy.

Back
Top Bottom