Hen behaved erratically before death?

totallynotwillyt

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 19, 2016
Canada
My pet Golden Comet passed away at the age of 7 on the morning of August 16, 2021. Before she died, she stayed in a coop in the garage every night and I took her out to an outdoor enclosure every morning.

The night before she died, I heard some ruckus in the indoor coop and went to check on her. I put her inside her kennel cab to get a better look at the coop (fearing there might have been rodents that startled her). But while I was looking she started behaving violently, screaming, jumping and flapping her wings inside the cab. I immediately took her out but found nothing in the cab that could have attacked her. I put new bedding in the coop and placed her back in. I gave her mealworms and water but she seemed uninterested (she just sat there and looked around). I left the light on and decided to check again the next morning. Unfortunately, the next morning she was dead. Her head was limp outside the coop (one side of the coop is made of wooden railings). She was on her side and it almost looked like she was trying to squeeze through. The food bowl was overturned with the mealworms mostly gone.

Does anyone know what could have been the cause of her unusual behaviour? The indoor coop that I kept her in every night is inside the garage, safe from other animals (although it's possible mice could've crawled in the garage). Now that I think about it, she had been kind of lethargic for the past couple of days (but it wasn't unusual given the summer heat and her age). She ate all the vegetables that I gave her but ate less of the other feed (mealworms, cracked corn, millet...). Could this have been Sudden Death Syndrome? What caused her violent tantrum the night before? Why did she die in such a weird position?

I am deeply saddened by her death, any closure would help. Thanks.

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you. If you still have the body, you can send it to your state lab for a necropsy to find out more definitive answers. The body needs to stay cool, but NOT frozen. I know that this isn't something that just anyone can do, but you could do a home necropsy if you didn't want to send the remains off or if they've not been stored properly (don't quote me on the improper storage but it just seems like an option). Was she still laying on a semi regular basis? At 7 years old, there are many possibilities, so a necropsy, either at a lab or at home, is going to give you more solid answers.

I'll tag some folks that may be able to help you
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you. If you still have the body, you can send it to your state lab for a necropsy to find out more definitive answers. The body needs to stay cool, but NOT frozen. I know that this isn't something that just anyone can do, but you could do a home necropsy if you didn't want to send the remains off or if they've not been stored properly (don't quote me on the improper storage but it just seems like an option). Was she still laying on a semi regular basis? At 7 years old, there are many possibilities, so a necropsy, either at a lab or at home, is going to give you more solid answers.

I'll tag some folks that may be able to help you
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
She completely stopped laying around last winter. I have already sent her body off to a pet crematory service so I can no longer do a necropsy. She had a flystrike more than a month ago but recovered after bathing and treatment. Since then I've always checked her feathers and saw no parasites or wounds. She seemed perfectly healthy until recently. I checked her body after she passed and also didn't find anything, just some dirt because she took a dust bath the day before.

I'm so sorry. The folks I tagged are extremely knowledgeable. I'm sure they'll be able to offer their thoughts and give you an idea. Seems like your hen was very loved and I hope you can find some comfort in that. I'm sending you virtual hugs 🙏💜

I'm so sorry. The folks I tagged are extremely knowledgeable. I'm sure they'll be able to offer their thoughts and give you an idea. Seems like your hen was very loved and I hope you can find some comfort in that. I'm sending you virtual hugs 🙏💜
Thank you so much for your help, it means a lot to me.

I'm so sorry. Loss of a dear pet is upsetting, but the circumstances are especially troubling. I would guess she died from tumors on the brain stem. The pressure of these tumors could have grown to the tipping point, causing seizures and death.

I've had chickens die in this manner. The causes varied from poisoning to avian virus. Keep in mind for the future that a necropsy will give you a lot of information that could have implications for your remaining flock. It can be performed and afterward, the remains could be returned to you to have them cremated as you wish.

Unfortunately, we don’t always know what is going on when one dies. Necropsy is the best way to know what is wrong, but most people don’t get them done. I do a simple necropsy at home on chickens I lose, just to look at what the organs look like. I have witnessed dying chickens a few times, and they sometimes have spasms and arch their necks, and flap around. She could have had something causing pain or confusion at the time. Very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom