Hen being aggressive to other hen..

But answers to ur questions. I have a white light and i read to get a read one so im gonna go get a red one today and try that. If it doesnt wok then im gonna take the ameruacana out.

Having white lights on chicks 24/7 is a well-known cause of cannibalism. You've found your reason--they're super stressed.

Don't expect it to work like a miracle. She may have started the pecking due to stress, but it may now be a habit. You may have to separate her for a week in addition to changing your heat lamp color.

Last edited:
Having white lights on chicks 24/7 is a well-known cause of cannibalism. You've found your reason--they're super stressed.

Don't expect it to work like a miracle. She may have started the pecking due to stress, but it may now be a habit. You may have to separate her for a week in addition to changing your heat lamp color.

YES!!! I always used a red light for the chicks...never had a problem. They are 7 months old and had a regular white light on in the coop last night after dark for about 1/2 hour. When i went out there-- blood splatter on the wall from one hen pecking anothers comb!!!! I put cream on it, gave them all a good lecture and shut the light off-- no additional blood or injury. We are definitely done with white lights.... :(

I got me a red light and she's still pecking so I separated her and the others are calm so im gonna wait a week and try again

Well last night I made Tweeter a place to dwell seperate from the other hens.
She's freaking out a little but I think it's probably mostly because she's a free range chicken and isn't used to be locked in an area with minimal space-however her space is pretty big.
She seems fine with it most of the time but Gumball (the hen who gets bullied) on the other hand doesn't like it.. She's been making calls for her and has since found her and is laying outside Tweeter's pen and won't leave..
She won't eat either.. I have no idea why she would behave this way.
Any suggestions?

I'm still going to give this time..
I'm hoping that eventually Gumball will move on.
She's not interested in hanging out with any of the other chickens.

Last edited:
Well last night a made a Tweeter a place to dwell seperate from the other hens.
She's freaking out a little but I think it's probably mostly because she's a free range and isn't used to be locked in an area with minimal space-however her space is pretty big.
She seems fine with it most of the time but Gumball (the hen who gets bullied) on the other hand doesn't like it.. She's been making calls for her and has since found her and is laying outside Tweeter's pen and won't leave..
She won't eat either.. I have no idea why she would behave this way.
Any suggestions?

I'm still going to give this time..
I'm hoping that eventually Gumball will move on.
She's not interested in hanging out with any of the other chickens.

Give it a couple of days before you panic. Make sure Gumball has access to heat, food, and water in the meantime.

Give it a couple of days before you panic. Make sure Gumball has access to heat, food, and water in the meantime.

Oh I'm not panicking.
I'm just wondering how well this will work if Gumball won't leave her side.
I'm thinking she'll get over it in a few days, I just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure that she will.
She definitely has plenty of water, food and heat.
She still won't eat.
She won't even eat the treats I bring her :/
I've been watching her and she barely budges from where Tweeter is.
I'm hoping she isn't sick.
But I don't think she is because she still walks around and jumps up on stuff, she just won't scratch and won't eat. She is still drinking though. And she always ends up going back to where Tweeter is.
Or maybe she's just weak from being beat up so much, idk or more likely stressed I suppose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom