Hen being aggressive towards me..

I don't know if it needs to 'hurt', but it does need to give them a good jolt.
That may work for the majority of birds, and I agree that a good jolt should work.

In this case, HeatherKellyP said that,
'Whenever I peck back at my hen, it makes her even more aggressive and I think she'll go on forever,' and, 'Maybe repetitively pecking back as long as she'll go will work, but she's a stubborn thing and makes me think she'll go on for quite a while.'
For such a bird, if a good jolt doesn't work, a little sting may be needed - which is what I meant by 'it needs to hurt'.

Last week I tried pecking back and she's seriously dedicated to being over me. She drew blood on my hand multiple times. It's not any serious injuries, but just little pairs of dots from her top and bottom beak breaking the skin. Normally she doesn't bite that hard but she was getting ticked which resulted in her biting harder and harder. I also pinned her down but didn't hold her there in fear of hurting her. I'm going to either have take a page from her determination and really work on this or she's going to be like this or worse, forever. She's going through her annual molt so I don't know if I should give her time to finish molting or not before working at this. She has a history of laying eggs that are internally mended, so that's another reason I tend to treat her like a snowflake. I know it's my fault that she's like this. I just don't want her to get hurt. It's crazy because all of my other tiny hens are such sweethearts

Last week I tried pecking back and she's seriously dedicated to being over me. She drew blood on my hand multiple times. It's not any serious injuries, but just little pairs of dots from her top and bottom beak breaking the skin. Normally she doesn't bite that hard but she was getting ticked which resulted in her biting harder and harder. I also pinned her down but didn't hold her there in fear of hurting her. I'm going to either have take a page from her determination and really work on this or she's going to be like this or worse, forever. She's going through her annual molt so I don't know if I should give her time to finish molting or not before working at this. She has a history of laying eggs that are internally mended, so that's another reason I tend to treat her like a snowflake. I know it's my fault that she's like this. I just don't want her to get hurt. It's crazy because all of my other tiny hens are such sweethearts
She was getting ticked - so you were on the right track.

But but as long as your soft heart stops short and keepd you from committing to correcting her behaviour, you are only strengthening her resolve. You know this. So YOU decide what you want, spoiled prima donna that you coddle while she bites you, or loveable citizen you'd be happy to socialize with..

Be aware that birds that are molting are targets for *other* birds moving up the pecking order for precisely that reason - they are molting and at a disadvantage for fleeing, flying away, and exposed skin. I would take advantage of her vulnerability, like another bird would.

If you want to avoid risk of injury, just hold her down with both hands and completely immobilize her agsinst the ground, rather than one hand holding the neck/head down. If she is so small, you should be able to keep her down and stop her from flapping and kicking.

If you can't commit to , it may be you'll need to resign yourself to baby shark bird.

Back
Top Bottom