Hen being bullied

Chickygrammy6

Chirping
Jan 27, 2020
I have 5 hens and one Rooster. I noticed that one of the hens was spending most of the day on the roost inside the coop. today I gave them some treats and took her off the roost. As soon as she joined them in the yard. ( a large fenced in area ajoining the coop and run) the rooster ran at her. she hid under a bush growing in the yard. In a few minutes she left her hiding place and began to eat some of the treats. The rooster again attacked her. i watched them for a while and two of the hens were also chasing her. Will the pin less peepers work on a rooster? My husband said "get rid of the rooster. I hate to do that, they free range a few times a week and he seems to be protective of them.

I’m thinking of giving the hen to a friend if it doesn’t stop. I’ll probably get rid of the rooster. He has attact me several times.
If you get rid of the hen, the rooster will bully someone else. You could get rid of him or try pinless peepers. I have used them before with success on one hen and no success on another. But I feel like if you got rid of the rooster, the other hens might calm down

I’m thinking of giving the hen to a friend if it doesn’t stop. I’ll probably get rid of the rooster. He has attact me several times.
That would work too. But you should definitely get rid of the roo. If you like a roo in your flock, then you will get a much better one when it gets raised by older hens. The older hens will not take its young hormones. They will teach it manners. Just like if a child was raised with just kids her age, she is not going to know how to treat others well. She needs her parent to teach her.

I have 5 hens and one Rooster. I noticed that one of the hens was spending most of the day on the roost inside the coop. today I gave them some treats and took her off the roost. As soon as she joined them in the yard. ( a large fenced in area ajoining the coop and run) the rooster ran at her. she hid under a bush growing in the yard. In a few minutes she left her hiding place and began to eat some of the treats. The rooster again attacked her. i watched them for a while and two of the hens were also chasing her. Will the pin less peepers work on a rooster? My husband said "get rid of the rooster. I hate to do that, they free range a few times a week and he seems to be protective of them.
This is normal behavior of chickens called “the pecking order.” I don’t know why but chickens will find one chicken and pick on them. I got a rooster victim to the pecking order. My neighbor put 7 roosters together in the same pen. One of the roosters was in the same situation as your hen. 6 of the roosters would be outside eating and scratching at the ground while one rooster I named Candy sat on a box inside the dirty chicken coop. He would get pecked at and pushed around by the other roosters and at night he would sleep in a water dish full of poop in the middle of winter. He was getting picked on so bad that we transitioned him to my chicken coop and got 3 hens for him to take care of. He ended up being the sweetest rooster ever. I think you should put your hen in a new flock. You don’t have to kill any of your chickens or your rooster. I think if you have another small flock, you should transfer the hen to that flock. If not, you should either get another flock, or give it to family or a friend with a flock that can take care of the hen.

Back
Top Bottom