Hen bit by dog several days ago, infected wound? help!

The wound itself doesn’t look to bad to me. I would remove more of the feathers around it to be safe.

You can also use stockinette to cover her wound.
17C0F3CE-0276-4AD5-B4CE-9D2085414DBF.jpeg
You can get it online easily but some medical supply stores carry it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/yikes-large-wound-on-hen.1141144/#post-17736677
That link will take you to a thread about a girl of mine with a wound I treated.

If nothing else the pictures of how I used the stockinette could be helpful.

When my chicken was bitten by a dog, I washed the wound with hydrogen peroxide. I also kept her separate from the other chickens. She got feeling much better and was happy and healthy from that point on. I had to pick a few scraps of grass and leaf out of the wound no and then but she didn’t mind.
Afterward when she was fully healed she would come and sit on my shoulder and stand right beside me when she free ranged. They know when your trying to help them so just stay calm and whatever you do she will forgive you eventually.
Good luck and hope she heals fast. Try out the hydrogine peroxide.

I would not use peroxide, it can damage healthy tissue and slow healing.
That's a much better picture. I would get some veterycin wound and skin spray and use that for cleaning as necessary, it will encourage healing. Neosporin is still fine to use. I've never used the EMT gel, but looks like that would be good also, similar to the veterycin. And I would trim back some of those feathers near the wound. Hope it starts looking better and she starts feeling better soon.

I would not use peroxide, it can damage healthy tissue and slow healing.
That's a much better picture. I would get some veterycin wound and skin spray and use that for cleaning as necessary, it will encourage healing. Neosporin is still fine to use. I've never used the EMT gel, but looks like that would be good also, similar to the veterycin. And I would trim back some of those feathers near the wound. Hope it starts looking better and she starts feeling better soon.

the smell of the wound is still present after the saline flush. is that normal or does that mean i wasn't thorough enough? do you still recommend penicillin in case it is infected? or should i just continue with the neosporin and possibly vetericyn? the laws in my area prevent feed store from selling antibiotics. if i really need it i would have to go to a vet.

Last edited:
If it smells bad then I have to assume it's infected. If you cannot get the penicillin then you can try amoxicillin which you can get as a fish antibiotic, and I'm hoping you still have access to those. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight 2 times a day for 5 to 7 days and I would go with 7 days here, I mix it with about 1.5 ml of distilled water (empty the capsule into a small bowl) and a bit of nutridrench for taste. So for simplicity's sake a 5 pound bird would get the whole 250 mg capsule (the capsules also come 500 mg if you want larger). Give with an oral syringe 1/2 ml at a time and let her swallow, until all is given, to help prevent aspiration. The particles are large and tend to settle, so I try to get them to settle to the tip of the syringe, and have a bit of water ready to mix in the syringe and shake up at the end if any particles are left, so you get as much out of the syringe and into her as possible. I've heard others say they make a paste and put it in bread and feed the bread in small bits til its all taken. I usually do it orally with the syringe. I always follow up after treatment with a probiotic, as this may cause some digestive upset.
You can get it here if you can't get it locally : http://www.allivet.com/p-2377-fish-...hM4081kU04Y5KrpgKiLtUctyrsiTxi-RoCvOcQAvD_BwE
Looks like this:
2378.jpg

Back
Top Bottom