Hen bites other chickens but only when theyre held?

Star428

Songster
Mar 30, 2023
My extremely nervous Wyandotte has never had a problem with the silkies, and even when the other hens were picking on them, she left them be
But now I've found out if I hold a silkie in front of her, he comes up and bites it? But she's fine when they're on the ground? Never shown aggression to any of the other hens when held. it's only my silkie hens

Last edited:
I just caught her biting one of my silkies to steal their food today! I guess she's just gone aggressive with them for some reason?
It's possible she's just bullying the silkies because they're more timid. It seems that hens lower in the pecking order can become aggressive towards the hens who are lower than them.

I have a similar issue that I have yet to figure out the cause of, but it’s with my rooster. When my rooster gets on my Easter egger my Austrawhite will run up and bite at her scar (I’m getting her a helmet due to the skin being scabbed up by her) but only when the rooster has her and ONLY to her none of the others hen.
My guess is your chickens might be jealous? It depends on how emotionally attached they are… a few of my hens get jealous but never over holding they all hate being held, that or she doesn’t like the other hens but only gets the guts to peck at them when they can’t move.

It's possible she's just bullying the silkies because they're more timid. It seems that hens lower in the pecking order can become aggressive towards the hens who are lower than them.
It's just so weird because my other larger hens I put pinless peepers on when I first introduced them but her I didn't because she was always nice to them! I've heard that Wyandottes can be more assertive I guess she's just finally gained more confidence?

Back
Top Bottom