Hen bleeding comb from rooster

Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
7 month old Americana is chasing the hens and one hen had a bleeding comb from his mating her.
All the hens run from this hormonal young rooster.
Is this normal? I got him separated for now. Been keeping him isolated and then released for a short time of day.
Since I found my one hen with a swollen comb and bleeding. I put blue coat on it.
Rooster is afraid of us, moves away from cats and dogs...
The hens stay on the roosts in coop.
The hens so afraid to come out of coop.
any advice appreciated.
Friends say a good rooster doesn't hurt the hens...idk

Last edited:
7 month old Americana is chasing the hens and one hen had a bleeding comb from his mating her.
All the hens run from this hormonal young rooster.
Is this normal? I got him separated for now. Been keeping him isolated and then released for a short time of day.
Since I found my one hen with a swollen comb and bleeding. I put blue coat on it.
Rooster is afraid of us, moves away from cats and dogs...
The hens stay on the roosts in coop.
I kept him separated for a month before introducing... and it was before he was interested in mating but big enough.
Please share your advice.
I don't want to cull but will if I can't fix this.
I really want this to work but don't want injured hens or hens so afraid to come out of coop.
I have 13 hens, 7 are 8 month old barred rocks, 4 are (3 year old) Road Island reds, 2 are (4 years) old New Hamshire red and Dominic.
We free range and have plenty of space. I have a separate area for new birds with enclosed 8by 8 pen that the roo is in now.

Back
Top Bottom