Hen BLEEDING from mouth! Breathing labored!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeffross1968, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So, I'm at my wits end at this point. We went from an amazing healthy flock to a complete mess in a couple of months.

We went out an hour ago to dose a couple of closed eye chickens with Tylan50, and while in there saw a hen, at point of lay age wise, who yesterday was bright and vibrant with a nice big red comb, all of a sudden that comb was laying over and it had labored breathing. We picked it up to inspect it, but found nothing. It's doing that gasping a baby chick will do prior to death.

We put her down, and let them out of the run to free range for the day. Sat down in our lawn chairs, and I asked my wife where that chicken is so I can keep an eye on her, and we noticed her standing by the door of the run with blood all over her face! Picked her up again, and noticed blood literally pouring out of her mouth. On closer inspection, we found some kind of growth on the inside upper beak, just below where the sinus holes are on the beak. It's very enlarged, and it almost looks like it burst, causing all the blood.

I've never seen anything like this. Any ideas?? I'm thinking the breathing issues is probably because her sinus is completely clogged due to this growth, or she has aspirated blood. Totally clueless...please advise!

2. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know how to help, but here is a bump for you. Good luck with your girl!

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Possibly she had an abscess that ruptured? How was she breathing after the blood? I would treat her with antibiotics and isolate her in a crate with food, bedding and water (and a heat lamp if outside)

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Certain illness can cause sores.or puss filled pockets in the mouth or roof of the mouth....also the sinus. Fowl pox that turns to wet pox can leave sores in the mouth....Coryza also. Others can cause bleeding from the mouth or sinus
    Be veer careful handling the birds and make sure to disinfect well like with any virus. You have a hard road either way and my heart is with you.

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I'm really not sure what happened. The hen in question is alive and seems to be doing well. Within a few hours of this incident, her comb straightened back up and she was doing better. I don't know what's going on with our flock...just not as healthy as in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by