Hen Broken tip of her beak off

chuckzoo

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hi one of my BR hens got a fright and must have flown into th wire and broken the tip of her beak off. It is the whole part of the top beck that normally overhangs the bottom part. It is bleeding but very little. She appears not able to eat! She is pecking at things but not able to get them into her mouth. I am very worried. Will it grow back? How will she manage to eat?

They do de-beak birds, which is similar to what happened to your girl. It will not grow back, but she should be able to figure out how to eat and drink. They de-beak so they will not peck each other.

I adopted some girls, that were de-beaked, and the top half was cut so the bottom part of the beak sticks out. Looks like a really bad overbite. But they all eat and drink normally.

I guess it would depend on if shes missing the whole top half of her beak, which it sounds like that didn't happen. I would wait it out and I think she will be fine.

I did read an article of a girl that had a hen, that a predator had actually removed the whole top of the beak and she did live...I think it was in Backyard Poultry.

Actually in this case, it should grow back with time.

If I remember right, When a bird is debeaked the beak is also cauterized. This is what prevents it from growing back.

Matt

Quote:
Oh I do hope so!!!

I feel so bad for her she can't pick up the lettuce I put in for them and she loves it. I just mixed some yogurt in with their crumbles hopefully she will be able to enjoy some of that.

My rooster broke his off very far down to where it bled and his grew back and looked great.
big_smile.png

I had a BO who had the same kind of break and it eventually grew back.

She may be reluctant to eat because it hurts. Can you fix a feeder for her so she doesn't have to knock her beak against a hard bottom of the feed tray? Perhaps some soft food for a while; just add water to her crumbles. You might also give her a protein boost because beaks are made out of protein.

Mary

Quote:
It's very encouraging to hear it will grow back!

I have just mixed some yogurt into their crumbles and I have them on Game bird/ showbird food for extra protein.

Thanks for the advice.

What is the tip of the beak composed of besides keratin, i am assuming, are there nerves fibres etc?

A picture might help tell how far it broke off. I had a rooster who broke the tip off of his upper beak and it did grow back. I had another one that cracked his beak at the nostrils and to my surprise it also healed.

Our Buff Orpington roo had the tip of his beak broken off about three years ago. It grew back, but the bottom part of his beak still is about 5mm longer than the top. He's always been fine, though.

Back
Top Bottom