hen brooding baby chicks move question

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
It is Dec and my hen outside hidden and found a few days ago is brooding...today I saw a baby chick come out at 40 degrees...My question, how do I know when to get the hen and babies to a container as I don't know if all the eggs have hatched. It's cold outside. I want to put them in a container in the sun room until babies are older to put back outside.

It is Dec and my hen outside hidden and found a few days ago is brooding...today I saw a baby chick come out at 40 degrees...My question, how do I know when to get the hen and babies to a container as I don't know if all the eggs have hatched. It's cold outside. I want to put them in a container in the sun room until babies are older to put back outside.
Lift up her wings and see what's left to hatch. Do it at night and candle the eggs, smell them and listen for peeping. If they seem like they are duds, just leave them.

Has this hen been visiting with the flock to eat, drink and dust bathe? If a chick hatched, she has obviously been at it for 20 to 21 days so you might want to just leave her for another day and let her rejoin the flock on her own.

She will be able to care for them without being put in a heated area. Just make sure the only food available to the flock is a good quality chick starter and put out a chick safe waterer and mom will do the rest.

If you have any hens that are actively laying, put out a container or two of oyster shell for them.

Lift up her wings and see what's left to hatch. Do it at night and candle the eggs, smell them and listen for peeping. If they seem like they are duds, just leave them.

Has this hen been visiting with the flock to eat, drink and dust bathe? If a chick hatched, she has obviously been at it for 20 to 21 days so you might want to just leave her for another day and let her rejoin the flock on her own.

She will be able to care for them without being put in a heated area. Just make sure the only food available to the flock is a good quality chick starter and put out a chick safe waterer and mom will do the rest.

If you have any hens that are actively laying, put out a container or two of oyster shell for them.
Okay my only concern is the babies will get out of my yard. However, I can put them in the coop bottom part and let them go from there. The top part I have a hen laying an egg every other day.. I don't have a problem moving to the secure coop It's too cold to pull an egg and candle...esp at night...

Okay my only concern is the babies will get out of my yard. However, I can put them in the coop bottom part and let them go from there. The top part I have a hen laying an egg every other day.. I don't have a problem moving to the secure coop It's too cold to pull an egg and candle...esp at night...
40 degrees is too cold?! 🤔 That's not cold. Cool, yes, but not cold.

The babies stay pretty close to mom for the first few weeks. How many birds are in your flock? Can you post pictures of your entire setup?

40 degrees is too cold?! 🤔 That's not cold. Cool, yes, but not cold.

The babies stay pretty close to mom for the first few weeks. How many birds are in your flock? Can you post pictures of your entire setup?
I did it I did it!!!!!!!!!! I had a tub with straw...picked up mama and put her in the tub, wow wow 12 babies...picked them up and gave to mama...had lots of hay in the bottom coop..made a circle nest and put mama in it...babies followed...went back to get the last egg..found one hatching...took the egg and baby and put under mama...success she was happy :)

I did it I did it!!!!!!!!!! I had a tub with straw...picked up mama and put her in the tub, wow wow 12 babies...picked them up and gave to mama...had lots of hay in the bottom coop..made a circle nest and put mama in it...babies followed...went back to get the last egg..found one hatching...took the egg and baby and put under mama...success she was happy :)
Wonderful!!!

Back
Top Bottom