hen brooding other hens?

Ariel301

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Kingman Arizona
I just got some hens today, a huge white leghorn and some bantam easter eggers. When I went to check on the animals this evening I noticed that the leghorn is sitting in one of the nest boxes on top of the smaller hens! She's been doing it for hours now, hasn't moved off of them. Does it sound like she's trying to brood them? Is this a good sign she'll go broody and sit on eggs for me? We were planning to eat her, but if she'll brood eggs I'd rather keep her around for that!

My BW roo puts his feathers over one hen on each side of him on the roosts.

She may just be doing it for warmth.

what? hen incubate hen?
th.gif

Hahaha yeah I've seen the chickens I had when I was growing up huddled together, but this big hen is sitting ON the bantams like they are chicks! I caught her doing it again today during daylight, and it's 75 degrees out, so I don't see how they can be cold...it's funny to watch, I'll have to try to get a picture!

well, just hope your bantam didn't *hatch* after being sat by the hen.

perhaps she think she were a mommy and decided to find a chicks to care and when she saw the bantam, she scream "perfect chicks" (due to small body of bantam) and begin to sit on them just like if she sit on normal chicks.
gig.gif

and why don't the bantam fight her?
hu.gif
i never see chicken love to be sat by other chicken (perhaps maybe roo *sit* on hen).
big_smile.png

I have a similar experience with my daughter's silkie trying to "mother" my barred rock pullet...it's cute to watch. The barred rock is almost as big as her now, but she still tries to climb on top of her to keep her warm.

Just went out to check the animals before bed, and this big hen is at it again lol...she's got both my EE hen and rooster under her now! They seem content with it, surprisingly. I don't know the history of these birds really, so maybe she's done this a long time with them. Maybe she hatched them and doesn't know they grew up. It's cute though.

Back
Top Bottom