Hen brooding outside coop

We just looked while she was off the nest and she has 17 eggs on the nest!!! OMG!!! Not sure where to put her.
That's because the other birds are also laying there.
Has she been on the nest day and night?
Candling the eggs would be good.
Mark the viable eggs and remove any others daily.
Moving her is a crap shoot, she may stay or not.
Best to set up a nest in the coop that is fenced off from the flock.
with space for feed, water and to poop.
Move her and the eggs well after dark.

That's because the other birds are also laying there.
Has she been on the nest day and night?
Candling the eggs would be good.
Mark the viable eggs and remove any others daily.
Moving her is a crap shoot, she may stay or not.
Best to set up a nest in the coop that is fenced off from the flock.
with space for feed, water and to poop.
Move her and the eggs well after dark.
I don't think anyone else is laying there. We believe the other hens lay brown or green eggs and hers are smaller and off-white. We may just try fencing around her and providing some shelter from the weather for now. She is pretty well hidden in rose bushes.

I don't think anyone else is laying there. We believe the other hens lay brown or green eggs and hers are smaller and off-white. We may just try fencing around her and providing some shelter from the weather for now. She is pretty well hidden in rose bushes.
Is she sitting day and night there? Putting a fence around her appears to be what you want to do. It will work or it won’t. I would suggest candling the eggs to see if they are all developing and remove any that are not developing, and keep the ones that appear to be the farthest along. If she’s not sleeping there at night, she’s not trying to hatch them.

Is she sitting day and night there? Putting a fence around her appears to be what you want to do. It will work or it won’t. I would suggest candling the eggs to see if they are all developing and remove any that are not developing, and keep the ones that appear to be the farthest along. If she’s not sleeping there at night, she’s not trying to hatch them.
Well, I really want them to hatch if possible, and want to "let nature take it's course" as much as possible. She only comes out once or twice a day, but the other chickens "visit" her! We ended up finding 20 eggs when we started candling them. We have 15 we think are viable. I am pretty sure no other chickens are laying there because of the quantity we are still getting in the coop and because of the color. I may have to move her, but am worried about her losing interest and the reintroduction to the others.

If she is setting solid, it is unusual for her to still be laying. Or was the 17 not an accurate count? Make sure she doesn't have to many eggs. If she can't cover them all she will rotate them and all will get cold at different times. Some hens can handle 15, but others only about 10.

Back
Top Bottom