Hen came after me! Question:

are you kidding me im a bear hunter, the last one i got was 300 lbs, im not scared of a chicken, the roo i have now like i said is young, im hoping no prob with him, i dont plan to breed a ear tuffted roo with my sexlinks, and dont have a silkey for a broody, if you think though a chicken is really that dangerouse to people, your nuts, i wouldnt let a child be with a roo regardless, but god, its a 2 lb chicken ive had bad ones , they go to the pot, if they can get to your eyes, your at fault and weak, im a hunter and strong enough to handle a chicken,

are you kidding me im a bear hunter, the last one i got was 300 lbs,

....What's that got to do with anything?!

im not scared of a chicken,

It's about being intelligent in handling threats, not neurotic or hysterical, or requiring a gun to feel emboldened against the aggressive animals in your own yard.

You're 'brave' when killing an animal long distance with a gun... So what? LOL! That doesn't impress anyone and has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of keeping and breeding dangerous domestic animals.

Any fool can go pull a trigger on an animal; managing threats posed by domestic animals, and maintaining quality stewardship of the genetic lines in your possession, is a completely different topic.

It's not about fearing the chicken, lol... Though I do believe it's always a tragic case when someone is afraid to walk their own yard.

the roo i have now like i said is young, im hoping no prob with him, i dont plan to breed a ear tuffted roo with my sexlinks, and dont have a silkey for a broody, if you think though a chicken is really that dangerouse to people, your nuts,

As for whether or not chickens are "really that dangerous to people" --- they've killed people before and given countless people permanent scars and damage. So, yes, the average person in possession of commonsense knows they can in fact be genuinely dangerous.

i wouldnt let a child be with a roo regardless,

Why ever not? If you truly think they're not "really that dangerous?" Also, in that case, why are you 'hoping' your big rooster turns out non aggressive?

Seems to me you're contradicting yourself.

but god, its a 2 lb chicken ive had bad ones , they go to the pot, if they can get to your eyes, your at fault and weak, im a hunter and strong enough to handle a chicken,

So what if you can shoot an animal with a gun? Who cares how many pounds or what species it is? Nobody. The subject of control of aggressive chickens has nothing to do with hunting.

Nobody walks around their yard with a gun ready to shoot their own roosters, least of all children which are most vulnerable to them, but according to your 'logic' the children are 'weak and at fault' when they're killed by roosters.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
you assume gun, he im a bow hunter, and that means nothing, i will look up chickens killing people, but if it came to harm or not if your fist or foot cant hold off a chicken you shouldne have one, i love my birds and always have, this roo that was young and abused by the hens, sat by me every night with his own tv dinner and hugged my leg while i winged corn at the hens trying to kill him, but i wont be afraid he or any chicken should be able to kill, i know roos chase kids, its nor allowed, but gheshhhh their not wild animals, damb, your trying to scare people,

you assume gun, he im a bow hunter, and that means nothing, i will look up chickens killing people, but if it came to harm or not if your fist or foot cant hold off a chicken you shouldne have one, i love my birds and always have, this roo that was young and abused by the hens, sat by me every night with his own tv dinner and hugged my leg while i winged corn at the hens trying to kill him, but i wont be afraid he or any chicken should be able to kill, i know roos chase kids, its nor allowed, but gheshhhh their not wild animals, damb, your trying to scare people,

I self edited and removed my comments... Please refrain from belittling others. We all deal with our flocks in our own way, what works for you is great, what works for me or others is great. We are all here to help each other, even when our opinions differ, it must be done respectfully. I hope in the future you remember this when you post replies.

Last edited:
Woah, calm down everyone! Back to trying to figure out what us up with the hen...

I think its nesting aggression.... Chooks laid it out pretty good, both the pro's and cons. I have hens that will peck my hand if I try and steal their eggs but never full fledge come after me.

Woah, calm down everyone! Back to trying to figure out what us up with the hen...

Your right, I self deleted my comments. Sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain
wink.png

I'm not trying to scare people. I'm trying to encourage people to not dismiss what is an actual threat based on the animal being small. It's a flawed premise.

About the bowhunting, it's a projectile weapon, still rather akin to a gun, but whatever... Hunting animals with weapons has still got nothing to do with having aggressive pets or livestock. Even if you were going out there and hunting a bear with a knife, or a toothpick, or your teeth and nails, or an army of trained mice, it'd still have nothing to do with keeping aggressive animals as livestock.

If you have the setup and expertise to deal with dangerously aggressive animals, (which most people don't), then I don't have any condemnation for what you do on your own property, though it'd be great to see people be more socially responsible and up-front about whether or not they are breeding on bad mentalities when it comes to selling or giving away stock. (Funny how most people go quiet about their animals being aggressive when selling, though they remain vocally supportive of aggression in their animals at other times)... It'd also be great to see people have more perspective on the long term, multi-generational effects of breeding on vicious mentalities. Those two points are sorely lacking and it leads to a lot of avoidable emotional and physical damage, especially to newbies who can't easily spot a vicious bird, and of course, children.

I never said you didn't care about your animals, not sure where that came into it.

As for the idea that if you can't use violence to control an animal you shouldn't have one, where does one start refuting a statement like that?! Seems futile... It's a skewed concept.

Personally, I'd rather keep animals that respect humans without violence ever being needed to control them. I don't believe it's necessary nor justifiable and it's not something myself, or the children, have to resort to. That's the result of selecting against violent mentalities. In the case of children especially I don't believe it's fair nor healthy to teach them to use violence against animals and subject them to having to live with such a threat.

A toddler or child (or infirm, intoxicated, disabled, distracted, or busy person) can't necessarily defend themselves at all times and I don't believe in breeding animals that people have to defend themselves from. To me it's not right that people must be ready to do violence to domestic animals in their own yards in order to remain safe.

I get that you don't think that's unreasonable, it's clear we have a very big divide in our stances on the matter. That's cool, we can agree to disagree. No point flogging it, neither of us will change our minds about this.

Best wishes.

listen i dont want to fight or argue this site is to help people, and i dont shoot my birds, heck i have a problem now , i just thought i guess that because i wont tolerate a bird to hurt ( and all shouldnt) but i miss spoke i guess i dont want trouble here, i have never had a bird that would really hurt someone, truce????? i have to say im not your normal 50 yr old girl, im tough and forget i do things and accept things others wont, heck my dog takes enough prozac for a linebacker, and still bites me, i think we should let it go and il try to not argue, i wouldnt want a little kid hurt and i can see that happening iguess my ideas because i only have cattle dog and chicken children, dont mabey think about the real kids, ????? all i can say i dont want to steer anyone wrong,

Back
Top Bottom