Hen can barely breathe!

Sorry, I couldn't get on here for a few days. The end of the day that I first posted the problem, she was fine of course, so I put her back in for the night. Thank goodness I put her back! Two bears got in the pen that night...killed 4 of them, but not her. Even though she was in the coop that was attacked, she would have for sure been a goner in the other flimsy coop. I originally thought that she might have been doing the gasping out of stress, but the morning she was normal, even with a few feathers missing. If it was stress, she would have been gasping the whole day likely. The first time she had started gasping last year, in was the cooler part of the evening. When she was doing it the other day, it was 11:00 in the morning, before it got hot, so I don't think that was it, but I won't rule the heat out. Since her gasping thing kept going on and off all day, I think there must have been something in her throat that would move out of the way for a while, then would move back. That is the only thing I can possibly think of. Thank you guys for all your suggestions, if she had kept going on gasping...well, you know. She will still be under observation, of course.

Well, I won't ever have to worry about her again. Her and another chicken were killed last night by one of the bears that returned. The bear swiped open the door, and she had no chance...

Back
Top Bottom