hen cannot balance

I have three ducks with ear infections. Then I have three additional ducks with a Mite infestation in their ears. So yes, sadly, ear issues are definitely a thing for ducks. Two of my ducks have very narrow ear canals, they are elderly ducks, and because of this narrow canal their ear does not drain properly. So if they are submerging their head in poopy water, as ducks do make their water poopy no matter how often you clean it, an infection sets in. My third duck appears to have some kind of lesion growing inside her canal 🥺 Hopefully not cancer 😞 which is another thing that can cause an infection. So I now perform regular ear checks along with their regular nail trimmings 😁
@6Quackers how are you treating them?

Wow! That is interesting and concerning. It sounds from the nail cutting that you have muscovy. I wonder if you cut their nails for your sake rather than their need.
How do you check their ears? I wonder if there is a technique that needs to be followed. Have you tried a dose (or 2) of topical ivermectin?

Wow! That is interesting and concerning. It sounds from the nail cutting that you have muscovy. I wonder if you cut their nails for your sake rather than their need.
How do you check their ears? I wonder if there is a technique that needs to be followed. Have you tried a dose (or 2) of topical ivermectin?
I trim their nails for their sake, not mine. And no, they are not Muscovy. I keep rare and endangered breeds that are listed with the Livestock Conservancy. Duck nails will not always grow straight and they will not always self trim. It really depends upon what ground you keep them on and how well you feed them (nutrition). Checking ears is simply moving feathers away so that you can see the hole and that the canal is clear. Yes, a topical mite treatment was used on those ducks, as well as the otic flush.

I trim their nails for their sake, not mine. And no, they are not Muscovy. I keep rare and endangered breeds that are listed with the Livestock Conservancy. Duck nails will not always grow straight and they will not always self trim. It really depends upon what ground you keep them on and how well you feed them (nutrition). Checking ears is simply moving feathers away so that you can see the hole and that the canal is clear. Yes, a topical mite treatment was used on those ducks, as well as the otic flush.
Yes, thanks for letting us know.

Back
Top Bottom