Hen cannot stand *****PICS**** UPDATED...passed away :(

just checked on her this morning and she looks worse... her head is hung low and she has no interest in food or water at all... I have to push the water way into her crop... she doesn't even swallow. She is laying with one leg out in-front of her now... I think this is really bad!

32366_dsc03511.jpg

32366_dsc03514.jpg

You just need to separate her and provide supportive care, maybe extra protein. Botulism can cause the lameness, but so can Mareks and other diseases that are impossible to diagnose on the net. Worms won't cause this, IMO.

any suggestions for food... I have given her honey water/ molasses water... tried some yogurt... but she really does not want to eat or drink?

one leg in front and one in back is a typical symptom for Mareks... I suggest you be prepared and to put to rest any doubt, I would send her for a proper necropsy if she doesnt pull through.
(((hugs)))

Just a suggestion, try putting her in an old towel to help her not put pressure on her wing. wrap the towel like a nest on the floor and set her in it. She might feel more comfortable that the weight is off her wing and her feet and legs arent carrying all the weight.
Poor baby! Good Luck.

okay... I went to the feed store today and purchased every possible different kind of remedy I could find... Epsom salts (someone recommended it for botulism) tylan...and some chicken specific vitamin electrolyte mix. Now I am wondering what I should do first... The Epsom salt... should it be eaten or should I try to make her drink a mixture. The tylan... can she drink it in water or do I need to inject... also I do not see any dosage specific to chickens. Sorry for all the questions I am a beginner! thanks for the advice in advance!

I am sorry your girl is not feeling well. The position she is in looks like mareks. The limp before going down sounds like it too and they will drop a wing like that. I hope it is not and she gets better. Someone had posted a picture not too long ago on another thread to show a picture of a bird with mareks so people know what it looks like. I did have an EE once with botulism and she recovered after we did the epsom salts flush. I was told to fill up her crop with a tube and that I could use a tube that would be used in an aquarium so that is what we did. Peter Brown gave me detailed instructions and was very nice. He told me how much to mix with how much water, but I forget what it was because we were really upset that day. You have to be careful not to put the tube in the wrong place. Make sure you read all about it before trying.

We have a RIR rooster who has been rather unstable on his feet, and was attacked by another rooster. We took him to the vet, and she said it could be a Vitamin B deficiency, which can cause apraxia. She gave him an injection for it, but I wonder if they have vitamin B supplements at the feed store to put in their food or water?

Maybe worth a try--good luck!

Back
Top Bottom