Hen cannot walk or stand without falling over!

2tsp of corid, my rooster had bad blood diarrhea and was treating the whole flock and he is just now having normal poops but now shes acting funky.
I was thinking along the lines of vitamin deficiency. Shes eating and drinking just less than she usually does. Ive just given her some selenium and vitamin E gel.
Vitamin E and Selenium are used to treat symptoms of Wry Neck (neurological symptoms).
I would take care not to give too much Selenium, it can be toxic if overdone. Feed contains Selenium. A bit of egg daily would provide sufficient Selenium as well. Vitamin E should be at least 400IU daily.

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) is usually given as therapy for legs.

Corid is given for 5-7 days. Blood in the poop can be caused by Coccidiosis, but enteritis could be a contributor as well. Getting a fecal float to see if there is an overload of Coccidia still would be a good idea. Could be the rooster (cockerel?) isn't drinking enough of the mixed water. If the blood continues I would give him a direct oral dose of liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight once a day for 3 days - this is in addition to him drinking his fill of Corid water daily too.
Highly unlikely 2 weeks of Corid is causing the leg issues (vitamin deficiency), it's mild and acts as a B1 (Thiamine) mimicker to help reduce the number of oocysts so the bird can build resistance.

I'm sorry you're having trouble, hopefully you will see improvement.

Vitamin E and Selenium are used to treat symptoms of Wry Neck (neurological symptoms).
I would take care not to give too much Selenium, it can be toxic if overdone. Feed contains Selenium. A bit of egg daily would provide sufficient Selenium as well. Vitamin E should be at least 400IU daily.

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) is usually given as therapy for legs.

Corid is given for 5-7 days. Blood in the poop can be caused by Coccidiosis, but enteritis could be a contributor as well. Getting a fecal float to see if there is an overload of Coccidia still would be a good idea. Could be the rooster (cockerel?) isn't drinking enough of the mixed water. If the blood continues I would give him a direct oral dose of liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight once a day for 3 days - this is in addition to him drinking his fill of Corid water daily too.
Highly unlikely 2 weeks of Corid is causing the leg issues (vitamin deficiency), it's mild and acts as a B1 (Thiamine) mimicker to help reduce the number of oocysts so the bird can build resistance.

I'm sorry you're having trouble, hopefully you will see improvement.
My roo is all good now. Should I give her more vitamin B then? If I wanted to give her corrid straight, incase this is coccidia, how much should I give her?

My roo is all good now. Should I give her more vitamin B then? If I wanted to give her corrid straight, incase this is coccidia, how much should I give her?
Taking a poop sample for testing is a good idea.
If she's been treated with Corid for 2 weeks just like the others, then I would be hesitant that the cause of her problems is Coccidiosis.

Have you been giving any vitamins during the course of Corid treatment? If you have, then what did you give?

Taking a poop sample for testing is a good idea.
If she's been treated with Corid for 2 weeks just like the others, then I would be hesitant that the cause of her problems is Coccidiosis.

Have you been giving any vitamins during the course of Corid treatment? If you have, then what did you give?
While treating with corrid I havent added any extra vitamins, though theyve been eating a layer feed so whatever vitamins were in there is all they got. Thats why im thinking she might have a deficiency?

While treating with corrid I havent added any extra vitamins, though theyve been eating a layer feed so whatever vitamins were in there is all they got. Thats why im thinking she might have a deficiency?
Poultry feed has all the vitamins/minerals that they need if it's fresh.
How long have you been feeding layer feed - does she lay eggs?

Have all of them been eating layer feed that long?
I think I would switch them to chick starter or an all flock type feed until they begin laying eggs - but that's me.
I have just switched back to medicated feed to fight any left over coccidia and ive put electrolytes back into their water, just dont know whats going on with her.

Back
Top Bottom