Hen can't see well

ronald29609

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
1) Orphington, 4 yrs, ~4lb
2) Misses when pecking, cannot see food well, walks into things.
3) No sign of trauma.
4) At first she wouldn't move. Over 4 weeks time she now walks around and perches but seem that eyesite is bad. Not laying eggs.
5) Eating chicken feed for pullets, drinking water.
6) Normal poop.
7) Gave her Sulmet in water for 2 weeks.
8 ) I want to treat completely.
9) No wounds.
10) 8x8 coop with 4 pullet hens. Pine shavings for bedding.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
ronald29609

ronald29609, is there any greyness/lightness/discoloration of the eye or eyes?

If so, it could be Marek's. There's an article about it if you want more info:

http://www.featherfanciers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60

If the symptoms don't fit, it could be some other viral infection. You might PM dlhunicorn for help. Four isn't old for a hen, but chickens do have a lot of issues that affect longevity. There's another forum member with a 17-year-old hen!

I have a younger hen with one blind eye ~ she gets along fine, and the only issue I have had is making sure the other girls don't pick on her. Do watch and make sure your girl is getting access to plenty of food and water, and that she is indeed eating well.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Jen in TN

Last edited:
I wrote in a short time ago about my 2 to 21/2 year old hen going blind in one eye - without any noticeable symptoms. No respiratory problems, no watery eye, no gunk...I purchased eye medicine from First State Vet Supply and was able to administer fewer doses than stated on box - yet after 2 days her vision improved. Not perfect but she can connect with cooked spaghetti strand on 1st or 2nd try! She was blind in one eye when I got her so the "good eye" vision is important. I also suggest getting sterile eye solution from drugstore and rinsing the eyes - just in case there's an irritant. Good luck!

Thank you all for your help, I am keeping an eye on her. She seems to be getting better. She can now fly to the perch which is about 3 feet off the floor. She still misses food when pecking but is eating and drinking well.

Not related- I have built a coop door that opens at dawn and closes at dusk automatically. I used parts from Home Depot, Radio Shack, K-Mart, ebay plus stuff I had laying around the place. The door can be made for under $100. If anyone's interested in making one for your own coop email me at [email protected].

Thanks again:)
ronald29609

Back
Top Bottom