Hen can't walk, never drink nor eat, but looking around her

Mrs Wick

Songster
Feb 18, 2019
Europe
My young sabelpoot hen was limping. I thought she got hurt since she was still laying. Unfortunately she doesn't recover. She can't walk any more, she never drink or eat, I have to force-feed her and her weight keeps decreasing. She has no other symptom. She looks around her with interest but lets herself die. What can I do ?

Her eyes are now clear.
3 weeks ago, she kept an eye half closed, I put some physiological saline and it opened gradually.
I have a little rooster who sneezes all day but he eats normally and keeps chasing the hens.
No other chicken has the same paralysis as her

Her eyes are now clear.
3 weeks ago, she kept an eye half closed, I put some physiological saline and it opened gradually.
I have a little rooster who sneezes all day but he eats normally and keeps chasing the hens.
No other chicken has the same paralysis as her
What does her poo look like? Is her butt clean? How many chickens do you have and how old are they? Is the rooster still sneezing? PIctures of both the hen and the rooster? What type of bedding do you use? And what is your location? so we can know what kind of weather conditions.

@Eggcessive

Last edited:
Her butt is clean, she doesn't poop in her cage as she's always lying in it.

When I take her out of the cage, she stands one second to poo, and goes back lying again one step away.
Her poo is liquid with little black or green grains, sometimes it's only black liquid (due to vitamins I guess).

I feed her a scrambled egg each day (cooked in sunflower oil), and 10ml water with vitamins (in a syringe).

She's 6 months old and lives with 3 other chickens : free run by day, bird cage by night (no bedding needed).

My little rooster stopped sneezing and is out in the garden today, after 2 weeks in.

My location is...Europe, France (you may already have wondered what kind of english I was writing). The weather is mild, 12 to 14° Celsius, no rain.

I will post pictures, my cellular lens is broken, I have to ask someone to take pictures

Here is a picture of my hen and her poo. She weighs 450g.

Attachments

• Kevina paralysie depuis 291120 IMG_20201222_133757.jpg
    Kevina paralysie depuis 291120 IMG_20201222_133757.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 11
I give :
Vitavil aminé (don't know if it is sold in US) for vitamins and amine acids
and
Biocalphos for calcium, magnesium

Back
Top Bottom