hen claw is bleeding :(

I had a chick that lost the tip of it's toe - toenail and all. Funnily enough, it wasn't limping or favoring the foot at all, and I wouldn't have noticed had the other chicks not gone after the bloody toe.

I kept the chick separate for a few days. I stopped the bleeding with flour, then cleaned it with a betadine/water solution, and sprayed it with Vetericyn. Once I was sure it wasn't going to get infected, I sprayed it with Blue-Kote that that was about that. Once the toe had scabbed up to the point I didn't think the other chicks would be attracted to it, I put it back with the flock.

Does it appear to be infected?

Quote:
It is the tip of her middle claw. I think the large jagged splinter (wood) went in under her nail. She can walk on it, but it hurts her so she doesn't. I did end up putting her in the coop for a bit and she did walk some and hop up on a chair, but mostly just laid down and hid her foot. I just took her out to clean the wound again and it's kinda of mushy- maybe the nail is gone?? It was very dirty from being in the wet sand and dirt. Soaked it in peroxide, but wish I could clean it better. I put some neosporin on it. She is back in the house with me again.

Not the best picture, and sure doesn't look real bad, but it's painful.

92140_claw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom