1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Comb Bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cristina33, Jan 14, 2007.

1. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    My hen got hurt today. Her comb is bleeding I have used flour and cornstarch and neosporin. It hasnt stoped bleeding. I dont know what to do the area where it is bleeding the comb has turned black. Can anyone advise me on what to do?
    Thanks
    Cristina

2. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. the blackness may just be dried blood. I would keep with the neosporin and just watch her. She should do fine. Keep us posted.

3. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Once two of my chickens burned their combs on a heat lamp, and i bled, forming several small black scabs on their combs. I used Bag Balm, and applied it twice a day and it worked really fast. Your fingers smell like Bag Balm for a good hour afterwards, but it makes a huge difference for the chickens. If the bleeding continues, there must not be a scab forming, or the scab is being broken. Is there anything that your chicken may be continually getting hurt by? (A heat lamp, piece of chicken wire stickin out, or other hens pecking her?) If you find something, just remove your chicken from the situation until she heals. Hope this is helpful.

4. shareenwtiger

shareenwtiger New Egg

Feb 13, 2007
    It's ok, just keep the noesporin coming. The question you should ask youself is "How do you think they survived the last millions of years before domestication?" Just baby it a little. Leave it alone if it was another chicken that hurt it.

5. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    I too would go with the bag balm. It may be other chicks are pecking at it because of the blood. Keep an eye on her and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by