Hen Constantly Shaking Head/Discharge

LOOKATTHATSHINE

Chirping
May 12, 2018
One of my twelve girls has had an issue with constantly shaking her head/slinging discharge since she was fairly young. She is going on 3 years old and still seems to struggle with this issue, whereas the rest of the flock are all fine.

I know this can be caused by several different things, but any idea why this one hen seems to struggle with it so much? Other than that she seems to be perfectly healthy. I wish there was something I could do to eliminate the issue in order to improve her quality of life.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/insight.

Greetings LOOKATTHATSHINE,​

Chickens have an unusual sinus structure. It is shaped much like a snail shell and connects to the eye. It is possible that your hen has a nasal deformity that traps normal mucus. The deformity could be something she was born with or the result of a pecking injury while a chick. It could also be something that was inhaled into the sinus cavity.

anatomy - sinus.jpg

What to do?

There's nothing you can do to fix a deformity. An avian vet may be better able to help your chicken. They can flush the sinuses safely. However, if a vet is not an option, there are some things you can do to help your hen.

These are things I have done for some of my chickens. I currently have a hen that has suffered from clogged sinuses. Her sinuses constantly clog and she has trouble breathing through her nostrils.

First, look at the nostrils to see if there is anything blocking them. If there is, try to clear the nostril opening with a tiny GUM brush. This dental hygiene tool for people, is normally used to clean between the teeth and gums. Some keepers use a toothpick, I don't recommend that. Never probe inside the nostrils. Just use the GUM brush to clear any crusty debris that is outside around the nostrils and slightly inside, that can be seen. Flick off any crusties with your fingernail.

Here are some more ways to clear the sinuses.
  • Nebulizer with oxine - Set up a nebulizer with some Oxine solution. The chicken breathes in the Oxine mist. The Oxine will kill any infection that may be causing nasal discharge. Note: A nebulizer is more effective than a humidifier and can be purchased on Amazon for $30-$40.
  • Colloidal silver drops in the eyes - A 20-30 ppm Colloidal silver drop in each eye twice a day will clear not only the eyes but the sinuses since they are connected.
  • Antibiotic ointment - An antibiotic ointment like Terramycin applied to the eyes will also absorb into the sinus. I like to use the Colloidal Silver drop first, then follow with the antibiotic ointment.
  • Oral Antibiotic for 7-10 days - Sometimes a broad spectrum oral antibiotic course is needed if there is a recurring nasal infection.
  • Baby nasal suction bulb for nasal discharge - Good for clearing the sinuses temporarily or prior to using drops.
  • Saline spray - You can use a can of saline spray to clean any debris away from the lower sinus.
  • A sterile saline solution can also be used in the nebulizer for sinus relief. But you must buy prepacked sterile saline ampoules for this purpose.
  • VetRx oil - This is an herbal treatment that has many uses and is very safe. Just apply some under the eyes and nostrils each evening, for 3 days. It may give some relief to the chicken, and can be used with other treatments.
Well, hopefully one or more of these treatments will help your chicken. Put together a treatment plan and follow it through. See what helps. This particular chicken may need this maintenance a few times a year.

These are my thoughts on your chicken's health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God's blessings for your chicken for a healing and long life! :)
colloidal silver 30ppm.jpg
eye ointments.jpg

saline spray.jpg
VetRX-PR-2oz.jpg

nasal aspirator.jpg

Nebulizer with two face masks, the small is perfect for chickens.
nebulizer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom